2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:35 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4485 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMARK View Post
To make sure I did not have any dyed fuel in the truck I drained both tanks, shut the cross over valve off so I was only using the draw tank. Changed the fuel filters and added clear fuel. Ran the truck for a few minuties drained the tank again and filled added enough fuel to get close to the border, then filled right up with clear.
That’s the sort of intensive clean out I imagined would be required to get down to 4 parts per million, thanks.
What is the penalty for running dyed fuel?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Well thanks to those who replied and commented. I spent some time on the blower today, had a couple of very informative and polite conversations with a couple of fellows in Saskatchewan, one with SGI Permit office who then steered me to Transport Compliance, where they called me back only after a short wait and had another very informative conversation. Then I called Carrier Services in Red Deer and wow, what a difference. Got some dumb bitch who was nothing but arrogant and rude and knew even less the guy with Transport in Sask about things in Alberta...go figure.

So here is what I found regarding a farm plated truck and trailer going from Alberta into Saskatchewan and back home again, suggested scenario, me going out there with truck and trailer to attend a farm auction and hauling machinery back home....

Must have valid registration and insurance on both units. Purple fuel, farm plates both legal under exemptions. I specifically asked about the fuel, its all OK.

Must be only be conducting farm business and transporting self owned farm items.

In my case as lowboy is 9 feet wide, a permit from SGI must be obtained prior to entering Sask.

If machinery being hauled is over width or height, another permit must be obtained before return trip home. Both permits available over phone.

Truck and trailer must be road worthy condition.

A pre trip must be completed in full and signed, and must be referenced to what is called Schedule One of the NSC requirements.

Log book must be in use and up to date, in my case, I must sign off at least previous seven days, since I don't run a log, as I am exempt from it in Alberta.
Upon starting return trip, one must have proof of ownership of whatever is being hauled.

And last but not least, must have a Safety Fitness Certificate.

Now with that Safety Certificate is where things seemed to get stupid. Sask guys telling me how a farmer can go to SGI and get basically a temporary certificate for a small fee before entering Alberta. He said should be same for Alberta going into Sask. Of course this is only if you are doing this one time or very infrequently. Otherwise for border crossing often, you need to get the permanent one. So this is where the brain dead bitch in Red Deer enters the situation, as I phone Carrier Services for Alberta to find out about this "temporary" certificate the fellow in Sask spoke of. Well after arguing with me about numerous things involving farm plated trucks within Alberta where I had to correct her several times, she was getting quite pissy because I would not give her the licence number off my tractor(why she wanted this is beyond me other than to flag it), she adamantly insisted there was no such thing as a temporary certificate and the only way to get one was to fully submit an application under the National Safety Code. I was rapidly losing my patience with how rude she was being and just simply wanted to get off the phone, so I concluded the conversation with that I would look further into it on my own and hung up.
After a very short search, easy when you know what you're looking for, lol, such a thing as a temporary certificate is indeed available from any Alberta Registries agent. Expires in 60 days. Currently am unaware of what all is involved with getting one, sounds fairly simply, or what the cost is. I figured I'd stop in and ask in person at my local agent next time I'm in town, rather than do it over the phone.

So thats where we're at. Hope that explains things for everyone considering what I am.
Thanks again.

Here is copied and pasted right off the Ab Transport website what that dumb bitch didn't even know....

How do I apply for a Safety Fitness Certificate?
After they register a regulated vehicle for the first time, the following carriers may receive a temporary 60-day
Safety Fitness Certificate from a Registry Agent:
 Carriers registering a commercial truck for a weight of 11,794 kilograms ormore;
 Carriers registering a commercial vehicle with a manufacturer’s seating capacity originally designed for
11 or more persons, including the driver.
After receiving a temporary Safety Fitness Certificate, a carrier must complete an application form for a
permanent certificate. This form must be submitted to the Carrier Services Section of Alberta Transportation
within 60 days.
The application for a Safety Fitness Certificate is available onlineat:

Link to the same document...

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca..._Questions.pdf

Link to the actual application for the permanent Certificate...

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...on_Package.pdf

Beerwiser and NVW like this.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.

Last edited by albertabuck; 02-05-2018 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
In Ontario you need 2 weeks of pretrip's with you if not running a log book. Grey area is if you need a book for a month or if you can fill as you go. Supposedly you need to take a blank page and write off duty for previous weeks. If you can find unnumbered looseleaf for a binder you can make a mistake, and correct it and still have a professional book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Could be Steve, it was when I was talking to the guy with SGI permit office that the log book and pre trip got mentioned. He was aware that as a farmer I would not be running a log here at home. Believe it was I who mentioned the one week, as I know that's what it used to be, he did agree with me but that's not saying it was correct.
I thought everything was clear sailing with absolutely no issues at first till I asked him about that Safety Certificate, then he's like woah, nothing he is aware of and then gave me the contact info for Transport Compliance. It does show how often the left hand don't know what the right hand is doing, and its all dependent on who stops you and you end up dealing with at a scale or such.

I forgot to mention, on an Ab farm plated truck going into Sask, no CVIP is required on either truck or trailer. As in Ab, there is an exemption.

I suppose one can always chance it and run without that certificate provided the penalty isn't too extreme. Not something I'd be doing until I knew the price one might pay in the end. A fine and a mark on your carrier profile with Motor Vehicles is one thing, but if the truck could potentially get impounded or such, that is somewhere I doubt many would want to tread.

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Albertabuck those rules sound very similar to having a sask plated farm truck going into Manitoba. I was looking into picking up a combine out there a few years ago we had bought. Timing didn't work out so we just hired it done. I talked to a guy in Manitoba that was very helpful about what I needed and could and couldn't do.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Isn't it frustrating why things like this have to be soooo complicated? And it doesn't seem to matter who or what department you talk to, nobody is really clear on the details or doesn't know at all. Everything should just be black and white. I always carry a printed copy of the Dept. of Transportation's site with anything I think I might need if I get stopped. Always hear of guys getting tickets for something they shouldn't have but didn't know any better and the DOT either didn't know either or pulled one over on the guy knowing he didn't know the rules either. I've asked DOT officers before and they wouldn't give an answer, would just say to go to their website, so they obviously didn't have my answer, and the website sucks.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 09:59 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Pretty sure they just give you a Fitness certificate in Alberta if your only carrying your own goods. At least they used too.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfarmer View Post
Pretty sure they just give you a Fitness certificate in Alberta if your only carrying your own goods. At least they used too.
They weren't just gonna hand them out when it all started over 20 years ago and they definitely aren't now either. You need to meet the exact same criteria as a commercial carrier. Check the applications forms in the one link I provided if you think otherwise.

post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Isn't it frustrating why things like this have to be soooo complicated? And it doesn't seem to matter who or what department you talk to, nobody is really clear on the details or doesn't know at all. Everything should just be black and white. I always carry a printed copy of the Dept. of Transportation's site with anything I think I might need if I get stopped. Always hear of guys getting tickets for something they shouldn't have but didn't know any better and the DOT either didn't know either or pulled one over on the guy knowing he didn't know the rules either. I've asked DOT officers before and they wouldn't give an answer, would just say to go to their website, so they obviously didn't have my answer, and the website sucks.
I now carry a copy of this information in all my trucks and have passed copies on to other farmers as well. Its from down in Southern AB, but its all the same laws and province. Imagine such be available in Sask or Man. too. Never know when you may need to educate someone on the side of the road or at a scale.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alberta Farm Truck Exemption handout Jan 17.pdf (1.31 MB, 14 views)

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
my brother got nailed a year ago …….you need a safety fitness certificate and you need to fill in a log book . both are a bunch of bs as far as I'm concerned……only live about 10 miles from the border . they don't give a **** about a cvip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page