Alberta farm plates going into Saskatchewan - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Alberta farm plates going into Saskatchewan

I just spent almost an hour searching online and the forum but I can't find any factual information about if a CVIP is required for an Alberta farm plated truck to travel into Saskatchewan. I seem to recall such was being proposed, even found where we were discussing this some years ago, but still coming up empty on current regulation info from either Saskatchewan or Alberta.
Rather than wait till Monday morn, what are the requirements for a tractor/lowboy combo registered in Alberta GVW 63000KGS, traveling into Saskatchewan to pick up equipment and then back home again. All farm plated and self owned. Neither truck or lowboy are carrying CVIP stickers as here in Ab we don't need them for own use with farm plates.
As I remember from some time ago, at least the truck requires a current CVIP to operate across the border, even for a single trip, correct?
Or did this not get put into place...

Sorry for rehashing an old topic...thanks everyone.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
I know we are safe into BC, I know this because a super anal DOT guy stopped me near Prince George, he went through everything and every document in full detail (said he loved catching Alberta guys) anyway I got ticket for not having my log book documented well enough. But having no CVIP was no problem as I had farm plates, otherwise he would have surely fined me.
Apparently his reputation is well known.

Sorry I can't help with sask, I just go there regardless if CVIP is needed or not

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 06:26 PM
brs

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Pretty sure only thing u need is a log book. We live in sask and haul into Alberta and the dot said need to run a log book even though within the 160 km radius.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Don't think there is any requirement for a CVIP but you would need a safety fitness certificate.

My uncle was a safety officer for a bulk oil delivery company. When he handed me a copy of their SFC it looked like way too much paperwork for my liking. It's mostly your companies operating policies and procedures.

http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...on_Summary.pdf

Dan
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I think you need a trip permit. Actually 2. One to go in and one to come out. Pretty sure that's available on line. Can also get them at sask govt insurance offices.

John
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
You need a current safety. You don't need trip permits if your not over width or length. You only get a CVIP exemption in your home province. You also need A safety fitness certification or whatever it's called from Alberta registers
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs View Post
Pretty sure only thing u need is a log book. We live in sask and haul into Alberta and the dot said need to run a log book even though within the 160 km radius.

You'd need a log book when travelling over 150 km, but when you're within the 150 km in Sask, you don't need a log book. Only paper work showing you've done a pre-trip.

I commercial truck, all within 150 km and have been stopped numerous times by the DOT. All I've ever needed is the pre-trip.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I pulled this off SGI website for farm vehicles going out of province registered in Sask. it doesn’t quite answer if you need a cvip but you probably need your safety certificate.

https://www.sgi.sk.ca/documents/6255...9-6fe5f22d3bdb

Last edited by D Wesselingh; 02-03-2018 at 10:03 PM.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I regularly drive my farm plated semi in Alberta and Montana. You should do the log book and pretrip. I have not had an issue with not having the inspection sticker. into Montana with farm plates you do need to run clear fuel and buy a Montana fuel permit.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 10:03 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4481 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMARK View Post
In Montana with farm plates you do need to run clear fuel and buy a Montana fuel permit.
If you run clear fuel why the fuel permit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page