Hopper collapse. - The Combine Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
I had a 11000bu bin on a hopper with skid for two years. Had it 3/4 filled with wheat for a week then filled it the rest of the way and next day the hopper collasped. Anyone ever have a bin or hopper collapse and did insurance cover it and/or did the hopper manufacturer help you out in any way. The legs were 5×5× 3/16 tube 11 feet tall. Seems kinda light. When emptying the bin from full you could feel it shake if the grain didnt flow nicely. So far it sounds like the hopper manufacturer isnt willing to do anything. Havent heard back from insurance yet. Looking for some advice on how to handle this. Was on a two foot gravel base.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Wow no idea on insurance. In my opinion the manufacturer should be fixing this. More importantly though no one was underneath it thankfully.

post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
What part collapsed? The legs I'm guessing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
These hoppers are welded up by weld shops. Most of them do their engineering by copying the competitor or by guess. What company made the hopper?
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Some neighbors to the south had the same problem. Think it stemmed from not having a solid enough base. They had to move the bins and redue the pad. Tamped the living **** out of the gravel. There hopper did not collapse they caught it in time. But it did buckle it a bit. It did not get replaced. But I’m pretty sure insurance will help you out
Windmillfarms likes this.

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torriem View Post
What part collapsed? The legs I'm guessing?
I would assume so but i cant really tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
These hoppers are welded up by weld shops. Most of them do their engineering by copying the competitor or by guess. What company made the hopper?
That is what i think happened to cuz their response was thats how evryone else makes them when i commented on the metal... I will post a name in the future but want to be able to portray them in the correct way when i do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meritmat View Post
Some neighbors to the south had the same problem. Think it stemmed from not having a solid enough base. They had to move the bins and redue the pad. Tamped the living **** out of the gravel. There hopper did not collapse they caught it in time. But it did buckle it a bit. It did not get replaced. But I’m pretty sure insurance will help you out
im pretty sure the base was solid. I had crop in it through spring thaw, plus it was sitting there for a week with about 3000 bu missing and didnt move. Filled it and in less than 24 hrs it collapsed. Cant see a bin sinking that fast to the point of collapse...
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hopper collapse

I had a 24ft one collapse 2 yrs ago. Base was solid. Company that built it outa western sask was blaming the base. Had a few engineers look at it, they claim base was fine. Legs that are also air passages for the aireation were built too light or outa poor quality steel. The company FINALLY did replace it, actually replaced the other one that was constructed at same time also. They still claim the base was the issue tho.They are on over a foot of cement on top of a very compacted gravel base now. Filled one with peas last week, 12700 bus, and I am nervous to stand around it as it makes all sorts of noises !! We dont park anything close to it, thats for sure !!
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Had one collapse a few years ago full of lentils 16-25 Meridian GM, Not sure how it went down because happened overnight, but insurance will NOT cover a collapse, just if there empty with proper anchors.!!!! Good Luck

post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsdavew View Post
I had a 11000bu bin on a hopper with skid for two years. Had it 3/4 filled with wheat for a week then filled it the rest of the way and next day the hopper collasped. Anyone ever have a bin or hopper collapse and did insurance cover it and/or did the hopper manufacturer help you out in any way. The legs were 5×5× 3/16 tube 11 feet tall. Seems kinda light. When emptying the bin from full you could feel it shake if the grain didnt flow nicely. So far it sounds like the hopper manufacturer isnt willing to do anything. Havent heard back from insurance yet. Looking for some advice on how to handle this. Was on a two foot gravel base.
Can you confirm the hopper that collapsed had the skid base, and how many rings on the skid? I assume at least three rings. The skid adds a huge amount of support to tie the legs together. Foundation itself should not matter. If the uprights failed, the bin must have bin off level to some degree which will add a significant amount of stress forces to the uprights vs if it was level. If level then it is just compression on the verticals, which can withstand an awful lot of force.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Yes it had the skid base and it was 3 ring. Having being second year im pretty sure the bin wasnt sinking enough in 12hrs to create enough stress on a few legs to have them collapse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in