vertec vs continuous batch vs batch - The Combine Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
vertec vs continuous batch vs batch

Looking for a dryer and wondering which is better design for small guy? 60000 bushels per year maximum (if everything goes through it) and I am hoping to keep it under $30,000 for dryer and augers.
Which are easier and more reliable (and less likely to burn down) a vertec or continuous/batch (farm fans/GSI type)?
I had a recirculating batch that was painfully slow and required babysitting before the gearboxes stripped out and parts are not available. It was good to have when desperation set in but I am hoping that a faster/smoother setup will be used every year to start harvest earlier and avoid this situation.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Vertec is very easy to run and fix. Can also dry canola. Not much experience with a GSI type though. I would go with continuous, once you have dry grain coming out your away to the races.

Canola you have to watch with any dryer I think. Vertecs like to build chaff up in the corners then it will start to smolder and start on fire. Cereals are very easy to dry I think.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Barn
I have heard the same about the vertec/neco dryers with a chaffey canola sample you better be looking at it once in a while making sure it's not smoking.
I believe there is much less chance of fires with screen dryers but if you want to do canola you gotta have small screens.
There has been some discussion on power requirements to operate a dryer set up that you possibly need to consider. If your running an electric vertec/neco dryer, electric wet and dry augers and dumping out of the dryer hot and aeration in the bin..... that's usually more than a farm grid service can supply and lots of guys, us included, with all electric are running a generator.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Bring me 30,000$ and u will give u 2 augers, and a 5500 vertec continuous/batch dryer with 3ph converter that can run in single phase .. 19 hp electric triple phase Fan , 7inch wet loadin 6 inch dry load out .. and I'll throw in two smaller hopper bottom bins, 2200bu and 1500bu

Vertec dries anything - it's the bonehead running it ...
ronski, SK Farmer, radar and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronski View Post
Looking for a dryer and wondering which is better design for small guy? 60000 bushels per year maximum (if everything goes through it) and I am hoping to keep it under $30,000 for dryer and augers.
Which are easier and more reliable (and less likely to burn down) a vertec or continuous/batch (farm fans/GSI type)?
I had a recirculating batch that was painfully slow and required babysitting before the gearboxes stripped out and parts are not available. It was good to have when desperation set in but I am hoping that a faster/smoother setup will be used every year to start harvest earlier and avoid this situation.
Thanks
Pretty hard to beat the old Vertec style for what we dry here and the amount you have. Clean up your sample at the combine and empty out the dryer once in a while (if you have chaff) to get rid of those chaff pockets and you will be good. I like the continuous style over the GSI or FF which I had at one time, because the slow steady flow of grain is much lower power requirement and easier on everything than trying to auger fast when the dryer is off waiting for the next batch. There are some good ideas in some of the current threads on that subject on CF.

That offer from keldifornia looks attractive at this stage of a wet harvest to go from 0 to drying at this time of year. It takes a lot of time and money to put all the little pieces together and you don't have time now starting from scratch. That should be all ready to plug in and dry. Only question - do you have enough power from the grid or do you run a gen set. Moving the hoppers right now could be a problem. If you have some at home just get the dryer up and running and deal with them later.
radar likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Sent a PM to Keldifornia, anybody know about height restrictions for travelling through manitoba and sask? Its definately a good price for the package just have to get it here.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronski View Post
Sent a PM to Keldifornia, anybody know about height restrictions for travelling through manitoba and sask? Its definately a good price for the package just have to get it here.
Used to be 15'. Used to be a low railway underpass in Minnedosa I think on hwy 16. Like about 14 1/2'. You had to go through downtown to get around that underpass. You often see these dryers with the top tier or two taken off for moving. It is light stuff and not a big deal to take apart so just set the top tiers on a 16-18' trailer and tow the rest. You need a trailer to haul augers anyway. What does it have for meter roll control? They used to have a moisture controller but don't see much of them any more. One dryer I know runs the rolls with a voltage controller power supply and is pretty easy to control moisture of output. Good luck!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 778 Post(s)
It would be a long way to tow it. And they are pretty rough to pull. I’d take it apart and load it on a truck.
jdhrasko likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Tow it with a semi with wheels under dryer, thats what we did, and 30 grand for a dryer is not bad, wont find a continious with easy setup for much less
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-20-2018, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
5500 is only 5 tiers high wouldn't be a problem to tow as far as height I would think . Also very easy to take a tier and top loading section off.
Good thing about that style of dryer it's easy to add more tiers to increase capacity .
We have 8 on our vertec

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page