Gatco cross flow aeration - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Gatco cross flow aeration

I see this Gatco cross flow aeration is advertising on Kijiji. Google came up with a few threads from a couple of years ago. Talks about pushing air up the outside of the bin and it moves horizontal to the exhaust tube in the center of the bin. Supposed to air dry grain much quicker and much more even than standard aeration systems with less fan hp.

Current claims are that with a larger fan than you would put on for normal air drying and adding supplemental heat the system drys grain very quick and even compared to the rocket style systems and the higher air flow has less condensation problems. Something like 2 days faster and you don't have to turn the grain during the drying process.

I had looked at the system a few years ago and didnt like the thought of all that crap hung outside of my bin, but perhaps this is a system that has merit for guys who don't really need a grain dryer very often, but could benefit from fast, cheap air drying every year.

Anyone have any experience with this system? Sounds too good to be true.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Makes sense but how durable are the tubes & what kind of $$$

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Gatco claims the exterior ducting is the same as the round galvanized ducting that you see at every grain terminal and it is standing up well. Unfortunately it will take years to prove or disprove that claim. Cost is high, like $4-6000 per bin. The claim is that a 3 hp fan on a 5000 bushel bin will dry faster and more even than a 7 hp fan on a different air system.

My thinking was that even if its $2000 a bin more, and I can air dry or dry with supplemental heat in 3-4 days, the bins could be used more often. Could set up a few bins for much less cost than a grain dryer and infrastructure. Sales talk is that this system works best if the bin is almost full, unlike most systems that like the bin to be 1/2 full.

Sounds too good to be true, hence why I am looking for farmers that have actually used it.

CrossFlow Aeration ? Gatco Manufacturing Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I know a guy that just had 2 bins done with this.
About to find out how good this works.
Yepp pricey.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 09:07 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Rockets aren’t cheap either. I’m thinking my local coop quoted me 3300-3600 for a 6’ rocket for a 1805.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 10:04 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I believe these were 1805s and will know how good it works as soon as its fit to fill them with tough canola.
I thought the quote was $3700 parts and $1300 labor per bin.
ScottysHog and brazil08 like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The idea sound very attractive,especially as so many used grain dryers are finding it tough to get certified safe for use
It may have already been discussed but wat would people opinion be about using a large de humidifier to dry cool air before blowing through a bin. Would think that would be a lot cheaper to run than adding heat,also reducing the condensation on the sides and top of a bin.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
It seems the stuff Gatco markets is all over priced. Pami would be the perfect oranization to test it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Wonder if this would help reduce the amount of corn we get stuck to the walls of our cooling bins. We dump the dryer around 17% moisture at about 130 degrees F. When it cools to about 60 degrees F it's usually down to 13.5 to 14% moisture, but the consequence is a lot of moisture is blown out as the grain cools. This results in a hopper and bin walls that are caked with corn by the end of a season where the bins have been filled and emptied a bunch of times.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I installed it on two bins. Worked great to coll my peas. Took them from 30 to 13 in a couple of days. I have been using the air tubes for years. All my bins are cemented, so it would be a challenge to put on hopper bottoms. I looked at an hopper bottom bin with air, but the price for a 6000 bin was 29000. With fans and the entire system installed was only 14000. The fans were 6000. Have not done any other harvesting yet, but have looked at a way to add heat to the system. May not need it if the snow does not melt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page