Class 1 licensing in Canada - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
In BC if you take the class 1 road test in an automatic truck, you get an endorsement attached to your drivers license indicating that you are only legal to drive an automatic truck. If you ever want or need to drive a manual transmission, you will have to redo the road test in a manual truck to have your license updated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fena farms View Post
A bit off topic but my nephew lost his right arm up to his elbow a couple of years ago in an auger accident, he had 500,000 miles of experience driving truck, they took his license and after he was healed up he had to go on another road test, got 100%. 4 months later they took his license again and now he to go to Edmonton and drive 8 hours a day for 5 days with an instructor to prove he could drive a truck and chain up a truck.

I myself have well over a million miles behind a wheel, in the industry that I work in there are a lot of idiots on the road but I think companies should do more training then just ask if they have a class 1 and hand them the keys
I recently got my class 1 a few years ago (sure glad I did) I used my dads truck and triple axle grain trailer. Practiced for hours at a remote intersection backing up. Passed the written and road test bo problem (almost took too long on pretrip, examiner said mechanics usually take too long, look at too much stuff) passed just fine (forgot to turn off blinker once..........)
Never known anything about chaining up! Didn't know that was a thing, and I cant believe they pulled your nephew's licence after passing handicapped discrimination. But they cant pull a foreigners licence cuz thet cant drive... or THAT would be discrimination........ what a load!

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Even for a new driver, 120 hours is way overboard. The biggest problem I see is that we don’t currently have anywhere near the training capacity to get the number of drivers through the system that is required to keep the economy rolling! There’s already a shortage! Seems incredibly short sighted. The cost of getting a license is now a huge huge burden on the industry, pretty sure your average per hour training cost with a truck is somewhere between 100-120 an hour! I’m all for tightening the regs, but this is too much. Should be 20 hours minimum, then you can take the test... fail once then 20 more hours and so on and so forth. And there absolutely should be an F option just like Saskatchewan is doing. Only can drive trucks with farm plates within say 75 miles of the farm.

Main point is that this seems soooo rushed and is a way bigger problem then any of the boneheads that put it through seem to understand. This is going to crush the trucking industry in the short term and significantly raise their labor costs in the long term.
JAW896 likes this.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
All the rules in the world will not change anything until this province/country deals with the ethnic problem we have. That's maybe racist but Its the truth and until the population realizes that nothing will change. Are the new rules retarded yes for sure they are. As for farmers having having a different class of licence I dont agree on that they should be held to the same standards as everyone else on the road.
bauerr likes this.

Last edited by Grainline; 02-08-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #25 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
For everyone bashing the farmer exemption don't forget that farmers will have to pass the same road test as everyone else. I talked to a local truck trainer about it and he has no idea what he will do with a farmer for a month. Many of them have been driving tandems for years and know more about the mechanics of the truck than the tester does. Maybe something like a week of training would be more appropriate.
SWMan likes this.
post #26 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
I haven’t been paying attention but just how would a farmer be exempt in SK?

If your an active farmer you can still just challenge the road test?
post #27 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainline View Post
All the rules in the world will not change anything until this province/country deals with the ethnic problem we have. That's maybe racist but Its the truth and until the population realizes that nothing will change. Are the new rules retarded yes for sure they are. As for farmers having having a different class of licence I dont agree on that they should be held to the same standards as everyone else on the road.
Agree with both points. Listen or watch the evening news. Most shootings and crimes involve the ethnic issues the country is now having.

When I am on the road I am sure hoping that the super-b of wheat behind or oncoming with a farm plate is held to the same standard as a commercial rig. It is quite scary the way some farms and even commercial rigs are operated and maintained.

Had an employee recently get their 1A. They started to do the pretrip the way the book teaches and the tester said to skip it because you only have so much time and when time runs out you fail. During the road test the tester was texting on his phone. Employee passed with flying colors. If thats how most testers test I can see why there is issues with the system.

On a farm we take for granted the experience we get with oversize and large equipment. If all you have ever driven is a small car and your just given your 1A its no wonder so many "commercial drivers" have issues.
post #28 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
I havenít been paying attention but just how would a farmer be exempt in SK?

If your an active farmer you can still just challenge the road test?
If your an active farmer you can do the written tests and challenge the road test. That will give you a class f license. That allows you to drive class 1a farm plated vehicles in sask only.
post #29 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
These changes will lead to two things:

First, it will lead to more grain being custom hauled but with a higher cost because of the lack of drivers and more cost to get new ones on the road.

Secondly, more and more farms will start using tractors with wagons to move things to and from the field that trucks use to.
8700 likes this.
post #30 of 77 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
I would love to see some sort of farm exemption from the 120 hour training. 3 weeks of training so I can burn a tank of fuel a year in the highway tractor seems a bit much. All I ever use it for is dragging the sprayer around and hauling bales off the field.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page