Dryer setup with large dry bins in semi circle photo ID - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Whoever builds a bin setup in a semi-circle these days should be kicked in the nuts! Obviously no plan for anything beyond what is currently there/snow removal/truck orientation while unloading/etc.

I am speaking from experience....never again. Straight rows only!
Totally!!! I agree. Totally.

Nodust likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Looks like it would be real tight to unload a super b of tough grain into that wet bin but maybe I'm missing something? We upgraded our system last year and its small time compared to a lot of drying systems but it's set up now that u can pull straight up to wet bin swing auger and drive straight through and gone. Real nice when unloading the super b. I'd also second putting the bins in a row rather then a circle but I realize the simplest cheapest setup is to put bins in a semi circle and set up the dry auger with sideways wheels.

Transaxial likes this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Whoever builds a bin setup in a semi-circle these days should be kicked in the nuts! Obviously no plan for anything beyond what is currently there/snow removal/truck orientation while unloading/etc.

I am speaking from experience....never again. Straight rows only!
X2. Build everything so one day if you or your kids choose they can move and reclaim grain with legs and drags from every bin. And room for the worst truck drivers in the world None of us know how big yields might be 20 yrs down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
No offense to anyone, but I hate that setup. To dump into most of those bins, aside from going through the dryer, would be a beotch. Snow would get 5 feet deep in there any time it blew. Unless his plan is to put a leg in the center at some point??? Would make loading or unloading them a little better.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Any idea where this is? Iowa doesn't have the same snow issues us northerners deal with.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daner View Post
Any idea where this is? Iowa doesn't have the same snow issues us northerners deal with.
I wish. I think we're at 24" where I live since the 20th of January, Davenport is at 45". Then the wind blows...

I've never seen a setup like that. Wonder how auger is drug from bin to bin without destroying its under carriage.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
There’s wheels that follow the arc and on the cement “track”. Power driven I’d assume.
Geeze and FarmerDave73 like this.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
There’s wheels that follow the arc and on the cement “track”. Power driven I’d assume.
A neighbor has a similar circle of about 9- 12,000 bu with a 8x70 from the dryer. It has a little 1 hp electric with a reversing switch driving a gear box and the wheels turned to an arc to move the auger either way. I think Westfield makes an undercarriage that way. It is a low cost and simple way to get the grain away from a dryer and a leg in the center with a conveyor from a surge bin/wet hopper outside the circle would also be an addition to be able to put all the grain into the bins. As has been said you do limit your options for future addition but you can still run a conveyor out from the leg to a row of bins in the future. No doubt that SW did it right but something is better than nothing.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
No offense to anyone here but to say that anyone who builds a setup like this should be "kicked in the nuts"....really, you are very spoiled. I can only dream of such a set-up. We don't all have big beautiful flat places for long straight rows of bins. That set-up to me looks just peachy compared to what I have. We can all be critics can't we....we need to open our eyes a little more to what some people have to deal with in terms of space and or money or both.
ilbar, bjtjjl, Grainline and 2 others like this.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2765 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolio View Post
No offense to anyone here but to say that anyone who builds a setup like this should be "kicked in the nuts"....really, you are very spoiled. I can only dream of such a set-up. We don't all have big beautiful flat places for long straight rows of bins. That set-up to me looks just peachy compared to what I have. We can all be critics can't we....we need to open our eyes a little more to what some people have to deal with in terms of space and or money or both.
Ha Ha, none taken. The bin system pictured is really nice and obviously if a guy can afford that he can afford to build them in a straight row. I think I did mention that I know someone who built a semi-circle bin system with the best intentions and it became very evident as the years went on that it is not the perfect setup for many reasons, some of which I listed. I ended up selling all those bins and starting from scratch, but still kind of painted myself into a corner on yard #1. Yard #2 I managed to avoid some of my previous mistakes, so I am speaking from experience on this one. Just trying to keep someone from learning the hard(and long-term more expensive) way about what I have experienced. The "kicked in the nuts" part was a joke, perhaps a bad one...

I'm pretty sure it was Grainnews or Farm Show magazine in the early 80's that was pushing semi-circles for bins, and I have a book here somewhere with pages upon pages of variations on semi-circle bin set-ups too. I bet that there are a few systems around over the years, the one joesixpack has pictured is the nicest I have seen if that's any consolation.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page