Solution to fogging glasses with dust mask? - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kochia View Post
Just out of curiosity, which one(laser, lasic) and are you put out or are you awake?
They use a laser to do lasic surgery.
You are not put out. Itís kinda creepy when your vision goes black as they are doing it.

Oh and you can see them fold the part of your eye back just before they correct it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
I had the same surgery as Meskie.

Last edited by SouthernSK; 03-03-2019 at 10:48 PM.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kochia View Post
Just out of curiosity, which one(laser, lasic) and are you put out or are you awake?

I believe it was called lasic, but not sure there is a difference, just what it's called. She was wide awake for the whole procedure. What bothered me the most was at the start they cut the lens and flop it back so they can shoot the laser into the eye. I can't remember exactly now if they used a scalpel or lasers to cut the lens open, but I believe it's all done with lasers now. I can't even stand to put drops in my eyes, so that's probably what grossed me out the most. As far as the rest, all you see is the flashes of light. Recovery was a few weeks, and no dusty conditions for a monthish if I remember correctly, but maybe things have changed a bit now, this was around 10 years ago. One really disturbing thing I saw was another guy who had his done at the same time as my wife. We came home for a few days to a week roughly, she had to wear protective covers over her eyes and only remove them every few hours for drops. She said they felt like sandpaper after the surgery. When we went back for the follow up after the week, and the same guy was in there. The poor stupid ba$stard had never even taken off his covers, never put in any drops. He looked like $hit. Never heard how he made out, probably blind as a bat now. Must have been torture.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I had prk surgery last year, was extremely uncomfortable for about three weeks. With prk they remove the top layer of the eye completely and it has to regrow. Lasik they create a flap that protects the eye and recovery is much less painful. Decided to get prk because I didn’t want the chance of dislodging the flap. Europe has some other options for corrective eye surgery but hasn’t reached the states yet. Getting rid of glasses and contacts was well worth it.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Think thatís just an expression difference, not a medical difference?
one cuts a flap and the other doesn't. one has a longer recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
They use a laser to do lasic surgery.
You are not put out. Itís kinda creepy when your vision goes black as they are doing it.

Oh and you can see them fold the part of your eye back just before they correct it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
I believe it was called lasic, but not sure there is a difference, just what it's called. She was wide awake for the whole procedure. What bothered me the most was at the start they cut the lens and flop it back so they can shoot the laser into the eye. I can't remember exactly now if they used a scalpel or lasers to cut the lens open, but I believe it's all done with lasers now. I can't even stand to put drops in my eyes, so that's probably what grossed me out the most. As far as the rest, all you see is the flashes of light. Recovery was a few weeks, and no dusty conditions for a monthish if I remember correctly, but maybe things have changed a bit now, this was around 10 years ago. One really disturbing thing I saw was another guy who had his done at the same time as my wife. We came home for a few days to a week roughly, she had to wear protective covers over her eyes and only remove them every few hours for drops. She said they felt like sandpaper after the surgery. When we went back for the follow up after the week, and the same guy was in there. The poor stupid ba$stard had never even taken off his covers, never put in any drops. He looked like $hit. Never heard how he made out, probably blind as a bat now. Must have been torture.
And that's why I don't think I would get it if I could. If I was out then yes, otherwise no. It would bother me too much...
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Results so far: (rolling corn right now)(just got them before I began)

New plain disposable mask: fine until the rubber band wears out(not very long) or the foam on the nose, as long as it doesn't slide. Update: once it gets damp, it doesn't work.

New 8511 disposable mask: better than the plain one, but it feels like the shape is made to seal better. Valve doesn't open for me, unless I'm shoveling or panting/breathing through my mouth. Elastic instead of rubber(or at least braided, higher quality. update: like before, once it gets damp it begins to fog up my glasses.

Mask with screw on filters (3M 6291), seals the best, but not perfect, depending on how you put the straps. I think I'll also get a cartridge one to try, as the screw on filters seem like they go on a little too hard(as in they may rip)

Powered air hood(3M breathe easy): currently can't try as the rechargable battery was dead, so it's charging. You have to hunt to find filters that are affordable it seems, but I found a set out of souix falls SD for 25 each(takes 3)

I'll keep updating this as I will try them tomorrow with the cabless/open station tractor and feed wagon, also will try them cleaning out the shredder(Vermeer BP8000) and will try them shoveling out, and vacuuming bins, and if I remember, when it is -40 again (when I had the most trouble).
Northern Farmer likes this.

Last edited by kochia; 03-08-2019 at 10:53 PM.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:11 AM

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
The place I work at harps that if your safety glasses are fogging/getting moisture on them you aren't fitting them right... Usually can keep them from colleting moisture but takes a bit to get the darned masks to fit right, and the last box I took some out of looked like they had been nearly mangled in the factory. I think this is why a lot of people don't wear either the masks or the safety glasses on a farm, by themselves they are ok but together can be a pain. Sometimes just temperature differences make it nearly impossible to keep glasses/goggles from fogging, deal with that a lot during wash ups at work.

I'm 34 and apparently have better than 20/20 vision still so guess I got off well, just need to protect the eyes to keep them that way.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
3m Airstream helmet saves lungs and eyes if your working in dust. They will fog a bit if your shoveling like a mad man and out of shape but I think newer helmets have a better fan in them to cure that.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
3m Airstream helmet saves lungs and eyes if your working in dust. They will fog a bit if your shoveling like a mad man and out of shape but I think newer helmets have a better fan in them to cure that.
Yeah I will look into them...the hood version I got is too bulky to use getting on/off/in/out of the tractors and feedwagon. I does seem like it would work nice for mowing my ditches(about 2 miles worth with a 60" deck) might keep my neck from being sunburnt.

An update on the 8511 and the half face mask: the 8511 doesn't seem as deep as normal masks(or my nose grew), and the half face mask I'm having issues with condensation, which then goes down on to my coat zipper and freezes it and (yesterday) froze the valve shut on it. I suppose none are made for cold weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page