Semi tractor spec help - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Location: North of west palm beach FL and where you all want to visit
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
I would pull the vin number on the truck go to a shop and let them run it to see what work has been done and what type of warranty is still on the truck I just worry about the newer trucks I have heard they spend a lot of time in the shop for electrical problems

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
The problem with shopping for a ( before such and such year ) truck is that they are getting older and older all the time and more worn out and not that its not a viable option but typically more and more has to be poured into the money pit called a truck to bring it back to a serviceable dependable unit, its just the way it is as they don't last forever. Certainly one could stumble across a good older unit that was not used as much and well taken care of but those chances and it being the right spec normally does not fall into ones lap.

Also it would depend on the type of customer you would be hauling for, certainly if you were under a company name that did all the dispatching as its my understanding that some of those companies don't want older trucks driving around with their name on it but that may not be an issue for your planned situation.

kevlar likes this.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
I guess the truck was a repo, being sold by the finance company, and is the reason for the low mileage.
Tare sticker on cab says 8900kg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:42 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4479 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Farmer View Post
I guess the truck was a repo, being sold by the finance company
A single truck owner/operator financially emissioned to death?
Licensed to kill likes this.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
I have a 2005 Pete 379L with 730,000 original km for sale. C15 cat. 18 spd. Regular 40’s, no locks. 3.36. 24.5 almost new tires. All polished and safetied ready to go.

Brent.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
A single truck owner/operator financially emissioned to death?

I would say he must have been on pretty shaky ground before the emissions did him in to lose it so quick. That new of truck he only had to make a hand full of payments in that amount of time.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
I would guess ( and yes get shop service records and warranty work done for the truck ) that the oil economy struggles that are out there did him in. I don't have a great handle on the whole picture but I think some sectors are laying off people they can do without and also I know its been said before about some hauls that get bidded lower and lower until it makes no sense to even turn the key as the general expenses are more then what the income from the haul route is paying. When things go south then there are units for sale that were a repo or maybe a early lease return etc if they allow that.

I am really surprised at the 8900kg, maybe the sleeper and tires are filled with helium !. I'd take the truck across a scale to get steer and drive axle weights, measure the fuel the best you can in the tanks and calculate full up weight.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 12:16 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4479 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
I would say he must have been on pretty shaky ground before the emissions did him in to lose it so quick. That new of truck he only had to make a hand full of payments in that amount of time.
Just a question/suggestion, it would be doable and I know it has happened if only the pain was further extended.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:12 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Most truckers owe more money on there trucks then there worth. And how many truckers do you know that have 30-50k sitting around for engine work or power train work??? The only guys making any money with trucks own fleets of them.

No way would I try to buy a truck with 3/8in frame. Itís old school thinking that you need 46s to pull super B. I donít know one truck company that has broken a 40 rear end pulling grain trailers or hauling hay.

Super 40s gives you big crown and pinion gears without the weight and when is the last time you have heard of someone breaking a regular frame or cracking it?

Almost all the newer trucks are torque limited under 20-30km/hr so you donít wreck the driveline

A 2015 truck isnít new anymore and the emissions could possibly stop needing def fluid indefinitely if the right guy plugged his lap top in.
torriem, bjtjjl, Grainline and 2 others like this.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfarmer View Post
Most truckers owe more money on there trucks then there worth. And how many truckers do you know that have 30-50k sitting around for engine work or power train work??? The only guys making any money with trucks own fleets of them.

The results of cheap and easy credit.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page