Semi tractor spec help - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Remember what New Farmer said this particular truck was spec'ed to do, 100% highway oil tanker job which means they went with that spec for a reason, and that gearing being a highway gearing to match that engine and load being pulled. As a comparison one of the Pete's I have was bought brand new by the previous owner and specifically to pull Super B fuel tankers on highway from the refinery to the Grande Prairie area, 3/8 frame and 46000 rears with 4.10 gears, 24.5 tires, 18 speed, 3406E as its an older truck but that is a very common spec around this area and not just for off road use like some might assume. On/off road units pulling 3 axle trailers ( or more ) from what I've seen use much the same spec but may be geared lower, for instance my other Pete has 4.30 gearing and I think its about perfect for an all around unit since I don't haul long distances and also having 4 way lockers is a bonus.

If I am correct in what I guessed before about the truck being talked about, if it has the air ride steer axle and disc brakes, they upped the weight capacity some on those steer axles because of the higher performance of the disc brakes putting more forces into that axle, that's my understanding anyway.

It's the 20000 pound front axle and things like double frames that one wants to stay away from for normal highway tractor use, that would become a boat anchor to hit the scales with.

shmiffy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:14 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4674 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Farmer View Post
It's the 20000 pound front axle and things like double frames that one wants to stay away from for normal highway tractor use, that would become a boat anchor to hit the scales with.
Assuming your back survives the suspension.

shmiffy and Northern Farmer like this.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Assuming your back survives the suspension.

Thank god for an air ride cab and air ride seat, even a normally equipped highway tractor with air ride on the rear that is older and doesn't happen to have air ride on the cab is not a joy when doing a ride along and sitting on the solid passenger seat, not at all !
I know what its like to drive ( and own ) an old highway tractor that had multi leaf steer axle suspension and spring rear and no air ride cab, the only air was in the seat and holy fuk, that's all I can say compared to typical trucks on the road now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
You seem to know your trucks. Yes the front axle is disc brakes. It is taper leaf springs on the front and Air Trac on the rear, I read closer and figured that out. 24.5Ē wheels
Online calculators show about 1550rpm at 110kph (68mph) when in top gear, so the 3.91 should be good. Most highways close are only 100kph speed limit. Highway 43 is the big 110kph run.
Plan to haul my own hay as well as grain, but I donít drive semis in the fields, I bring everything back to a central yard with a Haukaas wagon.

Last edited by New_Farmer; 03-10-2019 at 09:23 PM.
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:59 PM

Being that you drive truck for a company, I expect you or those you work with have connections or its their shop perhaps that you could bring the truck to for an inspection per say from someone that knows these units well. Checking over things mechanically and such things as doing plug swaps on the diffs and transmission etc, whatever can be learned from the laptop, also like what was mentioned in getting all records if any from the dealer for anything that was performed on it warranty or otherwise. This mind you assuming that the entity holding the truck will allow you to do this and also the test drive aspect as unfortunately at auctions unless one had prior knowledge about a unit its hard to figure it all out as it sits at Ritchie Bros. Just a thought anyway vs signing on the dotted line before you have a chance for a closer look and feel of the unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page