Feedback/suggestions/questions on planned grain handling system. - The Combine Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
No I haven't figured capacity(yet) as I took on more land over the winter. I have sold my many smaller bins and batch dryers. I have made a deal to store and dry grain at my uncle's place for the next 3+ years (or until I get my setup going) in exchange I will "rent" some of that new land to him. So I've got time.

My plans/ideas so far(ignore the things to the right centerish, still playing around with ideas, and nothing is to scale due to the mud and me not measuring in the snow) are:

Smooth sided hopper bins for wet grain(with air, smaller circles In drawing)

30k? Bins for storage (air floors, sweeps, etc. Question: is there any use to having heat on the bins anymore?)

Mixed flow dryer (looking at Neco, Excel, Sukup, is the sukup like the neco, with "zones", or are they all like that?)

An air system to take grain from the dryer to the hopper bins or the closest one or two normal bins in each row.

At least one 2000bu pit, covered by a building, with at least 2 overhead bins for loading (again somewhere around 2000bu I'm thinking)

At least 1 dry leg and 2 wet legs(from pit to hopper bins and from hopper bins to dryer) dry leg has the ability to go directly to the first 2 or 3 bins in each row, after that some type of drag/conveyor/etc(any recommendations?)

Bins are in rows spaced far enough apart to be able to get a semi/truck and grain vac/auger in, in case of emergency or some reason (a odd yet common thing I've heard around here, then again we've went a week without power)

The shop/storage is the square thing to the top. Still paying around with that, but that's part of the "room in the rafters" idea(sit up there and watch the dryer) comes in.

So any suggestions or ideas? Any comments on brands?

I guess a couple notes:

on how harvest usually goes: me and a few cousins/relatives combine until the trucks are full, go dump them, repeat.

on local setups/systems: everyone who has a leg has a "cluster" system. Only ones who have their bins in rows are ones who use augers and the elevators.

Last edited by kochia; 03-27-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Drawing didn't go with the first post it looks like

Attached Images
File Type: jpg grain shop setup 3_1553718987758.JPG (103.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg grain shop setup 2_1553719004675.JPG (86.8 KB, 27 views)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2707 Post(s)
Okay I will ask a few dumb questions:
>What are you storing in these bins?
>Do you have 3 phase power and an endless supply of it?
>Do you own most/all your land before investing huge into something like this?
>You have three quarters of a million bushels of storage there if I am correct?
>What is the reclaim process? I assume using the leg(s) at the pit end for that purpose?
>You seriously park the combine(s) to dump trucks???

I think you understand that air blowers can neither go far or fast when moving large bushels. I have a Sukup mixed flow 17 tier and it has three different heating sections. I also have what is referred to as a double run down the top of a row of bins which seems to work well. The pit would be nice for sure if you can keep the water out of it, I have a Hy-flight drag chain and it works well but is a bit noisier(I think because of the 45 degree angle in it). Brand wise it might depend on the dealer and their ability to deliver a good job at a reasonable price, but I am so far impressed with the Sukup equipment I got last year.

Couple of comments are that to unload it is nice to just flick a switch on the unload and auger into a truck, especially when it's cold. Don't really want to run a bunch of expensive legs/drags to just fill trucks. I would only put in re-claim system if you plan to blend grain. Might consider two rows of larger bins, I built 60K recently and will likely go bigger next time. Some of different sizes is nice.

Possibly some good info on this thread: https://www.thecombineforum.com/foru...er-set-up.html

Also Jake676 on this site has done some really good work on bin layouts, maybe he will chime in here.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
I would have fewer "big" bins and just make them bigger to 40k or more. I suppose it would depend upon how diverse your crop rotation and quality at harvest... I wouldn't have heat added to your bins, just freeze the grain down and dry after winter's over. Full floor air with temp cables and since you're starting from scratch get the cables programmed to send alerts to your phone/ ipad. Take extra time to make sure your bin site is drained properly. Only so many days to harvest or haul and you don't want to be stopped because your bins are in a mud hole.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
I would put some large bins close to the dryer/unloading pit with leg access to them for fast unloading and ability to get a lot of grain into storage with minimal power
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Just today I was pumping water out of legs and pits. They didn't seem to worry about water 100 years ago or even some elevators built today. Anyway, that bit in your picture labeled "river" concerns me. Especially after seeing pictures from Nebraska. Water comes up from below as well as from overland flow.

I can't comment as somebody that has ever put together a setup like this. Only fought with old stuff. It seems to me leg and pit size need to be related. You don't mention leg capacity. Thinking it will be a smaller cap leg since you are going with such a large pit? Drag augers inside or gravity clean out? Something that big will extend underground and that is when water happens. It will be worse with a river nearby? Dumping wet grain? Slope will need to be steeper.

I've got water issues on the mind. If I ever build something like that it will either be above ground or on a hill.

If your capacity is going to be as large as it looks it won't hurt to build fewer bigger bins. With a setup like that all in one place it would be a shame not to be able to blend.

Edit: I guess if I looked at your location I could have guessed the river. ha

Last edited by Daner; 03-27-2019 at 10:34 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
We're building ours 1 piece at a time, replacing old bins. As it is currently planned, it will be T shaped. Phase one: 6x 30K flats to the east of future leg. Phase two: 150ft 8-15k hoppers to the west, to keep segregation. Phase 3 dryer and wet bins, possible pre cleaner to the north.

Either small leg and pit, or large leg and drive over drag to the south.

If theres a big expansion in acres, I would put a second line of 30Ks work the unloads sharing the same drag heading East. But we're a long way from that.

Not sure if it really qualifies as feedback, but comparing ideas always helps me. We're constricted by space and topography. If it was flat and open, I'd probably just build 30K flats in a straight line for half a mile.

Last edited by Orsy060; 03-27-2019 at 10:43 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Okay I will ask a few dumb questions:
>What are you storing in these bins?
>Do you have 3 phase power and an endless supply of it?
>Do you own most/all your land before investing huge into something like this?
>You have three quarters of a million bushels of storage there if I am correct?
>What is the reclaim process? I assume using the leg(s) at the pit end for that purpose?
>You seriously park the combine(s) to dump trucks???

I think you understand that air blowers can neither go far or fast when moving large bushels. I have a Sukup mixed flow 17 tier and it has three different heating sections. I also have what is referred to as a double run down the top of a row of bins which seems to work well. The pit would be nice for sure if you can keep the water out of it, I have a Hy-flight drag chain and it works well but is a bit noisier(I think because of the 45 degree angle in it). Brand wise it might depend on the dealer and their ability to deliver a good job at a reasonable price, but I am so far impressed with the Sukup equipment I got last year.

Couple of comments are that to unload it is nice to just flick a switch on the unload and auger into a truck, especially when it's cold. Don't really want to run a bunch of expensive legs/drags to just fill trucks. I would only put in re-claim system if you plan to blend grain. Might consider two rows of larger bins, I built 60K recently and will likely go bigger next time. Some of different sizes is nice.

Possibly some good info on this thread: https://www.thecombineforum.com/foru...er-set-up.html

Also Jake676 on this site has done some really good work on bin layouts, maybe he will chime in here.
The beginning of a long line

of quotes so:

Corn, soybeans, cereal grains(mostly spring wheat)

Currently not an endless supply (thus the "went without power" comment) but they say "unlimited" 3 phase will be in by June, in other words, August if lucky.

Yes and I just about doubled it this winter(3000 to 6, not including rented)

Well the drawing is more for showing what I meant...as in no I don't need that much now, but down the road probably will.(as I said I haven't figured exactly what I need yet)

Yes, (changing answer to something that makes more sense at 2am) I've seen a few systems where they use a drag or conveyor with the bin auger and sweep, so that's the plan(ling ways but then it's one point)

Dumping trucks: well it's more like this: with our fleets combined we can go all day from dry to damp(in wheat anyways) without needing to empty trucks, so then either that night or early the next morning, everything gets emptied while we wait for it to warm up.(6-10 semi's (around 1k each), 4-12 tandem trucks(around 600 to 800 each) so when that is possible, it doesn't make sense to have someone not in a combine. Mostly the fault of 4ish farms planning to be a one person operation then deciding to work together, or at least for harvest.

Air system: the idea was(if possible or if it works as planned) it fills one or two hopper bins, when one gets full it kicks on the dry leg(s) and fills the normal bins. Or if we need the wet room, it fills directly into a normal bin, then either switched or the bin emptied when full. I have just heard (and read over the last 4ish weeks) that an air system can't really be beat for taking away from the dryer. Then again the next thing I read was against air.

I should have added more detail to the loading trucks part: most of the time when we haul out, it turn into a campaign, so the idea was fill one bin while loading into a truck so when the truck is full, the bin is full, ready for the next. No waiting on the elevators, just gravity. We have had to blend grain in the past, sometimes out of necessity, some out of luck(fill the front full of high quality grain, and the back with not high quality as most of the time they only probe the front.)

Bigger bins is something that I have considered, but I look around and no one really has bigger than 30, and I don't know if its due to money or other, such as condition issues. Again it's a mixed bag when I ask around.

Did read, got something out of it anyways. I think...
SWMan likes this.

Last edited by kochia; 03-29-2019 at 03:10 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8850Champion View Post
I would have fewer "big" bins and just make them bigger to 40k or more. I suppose it would depend upon how diverse your crop rotation and quality at harvest... I wouldn't have heat added to your bins, just freeze the grain down and dry after winter's over. Full floor air with temp cables and since you're starting from scratch get the cables programmed to send alerts to your phone/ ipad. Take extra time to make sure your bin site is drained properly. Only so many days to harvest or haul and you don't want to be stopped because your bins are in a mud hole.
I guess coming from 1 30k and many 6k bins it's big for me. Again I'll look into it.

It the second highest point on my land, first highest being my house. Also it's on a ridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
I would put some large bins close to the dryer/unloading pit with leg access to them for fast unloading and ability to get a lot of grain into storage with minimal power
I guess I poorly explained it, 1 leg is dedicated to unloading the pit into a bin, and the other is dedicated for feeding the dryer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daner View Post
Just today I was pumping water out of legs and pits. They didn't seem to worry about water 100 years ago or even some elevators built today. Anyway, that bit in your picture labeled "river" concerns me. Especially after seeing pictures from Nebraska. Water comes up from below as well as from overland flow.

I can't comment as somebody that has ever put together a setup like this. Only fought with old stuff. It seems to me leg and pit size need to be related. You don't mention leg capacity. Thinking it will be a smaller cap leg since you are going with such a large pit? Drag augers inside or gravity clean out? Something that big will extend underground and that is when water happens. It will be worse with a river nearby? Dumping wet grain? Slope will need to be steeper.

I've got water issues on the mind. If I ever build something like that it will either be above ground or on a hill.

If your capacity is going to be as large as it looks it won't hurt to build fewer bigger bins. With a setup like that all in one place it would be a shame not to be able to blend.

Edit: I guess if I looked at your location I could have guessed the river. ha
I guess I figured on building the pit like the elevators did: build up. Build a pad, so the bottom of the pit is at ground level.

Well it would have to raise about 60 feet, which in the last 250 years it hasn't, it may reach 30 feet, but that was with an ice jam and a stubborn county's way too small culvert, which is now a bridge.

Haven't figured leg capacity yet...I mentioned before we usually unload once a day, and then it's a lot at once. Probably gravity with the current plans.

I plan to build on the second highest point on my farm. First highest is my house.

Again the drawing is more to show what I meant, I don't really need 3/4 million bushel storage right now. An idea we thought about was with the many "smaller" bins, was to sort by quality coming out of the field, as it is surprising what is in demand sometimes.

Take a guess, I'd bet the setup it's not what you think.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsy060 View Post
We're building ours 1 piece at a time, replacing old bins. As it is currently planned, it will be T shaped. Phase one: 6x 30K flats to the east of future leg. Phase two: 150ft 8-15k hoppers to the west, to keep segregation. Phase 3 dryer and wet bins, possible pre cleaner to the north.

Either small leg and pit, or large leg and drive over drag to the south.

If theres a big expansion in acres, I would put a second line of 30Ks work the unloads sharing the same drag heading East. But we're a long way from that.

Not sure if it really qualifies as feedback, but comparing ideas always helps me. We're constricted by space and topography. If it was flat and open, I'd probably just build 30K flats in a straight line for half a mile.
I guess that's kinda how mine will be built: legs and pit will be built for the future or expansion in mind and bins will be built as needed or figured. Also I figured various ways of segregation... don't know if they would work but I've got nothing else to over think right now

My land seems to be flat with no drainage or a ridge where everything drains so then nothing really grows. So this will be on a ridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page