Extended warranty on grain truck or vocational farm semi - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Extended warranty on grain truck or vocational farm semi

Purchased a new Freightliner 122sd with 600 horse Detroit DD16 about 6 months ago. Time is now where I need to decide to add on extended warranty
7-year Freightliner component warranty $7000CAD
5-year Detroit engine warranty
$5000 CAD
Total of $13,000 the warranty covers us up to 160,000 km(which will work out perfect.

It’s a good chunk of money to put up now, but is it worth it? Has anyone had any experience extending the warranty? Did you get your value or more out of it? Or did it end up still leaving you with massive repair bills and the “oh yah, sorry, but warranty won’t cover that” excuse. We just came from a Mack truck and every few months we were replacing $1200 sensors. And once in the shop they would find $3-4000 of other stuff that was wrong. Please help me with this choice lol. The warranty packages are so difficult to understand and so intentionally confusing that it seems like a trap. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Buy the warranty, and build a relationship with the dealer. A failed turbo or "minor" engine issue will gobble up $10k awfully quick.

Service and repairs to all makes and sizes of heavy equipment. (403)556-2210
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerairsupply View Post
Purchased a new Freightliner 122sd with 600 horse Detroit DD16 about 6 months ago. Time is now where I need to decide to add on extended warranty
7-year Freightliner component warranty $7000CAD
5-year Detroit engine warranty
$5000 CAD
Total of $13,000 the warranty covers us up to 160,000 km(which will work out perfect.

It’s a good chunk of money to put up now, but is it worth it? Has anyone had any experience extending the warranty? Did you get your value or more out of it? Or did it end up still leaving you with massive repair bills and the “oh yah, sorry, but warranty won’t cover that” excuse. We just came from a Mack truck and every few months we were replacing $1200 sensors. And once in the shop they would find $3-4000 of other stuff that was wrong. Please help me with this choice lol. The warranty packages are so difficult to understand and so intentionally confusing that it seems like a trap. Thanks!
EXTENDED warranty only goes to 160,000KM?????? What is the regular warranty?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
The engine warranty from Detroit is 2 years from factory. The Freightliner components vary from 6months to one year from factory. You can purchase warranty for 5-7 years on both and coverage for 600,000 km. But the price really jumps. Being a farm truck or vocational as they called it we can get cheaper warranty packages for the 7 year terms on lower km 160,000. Seeing as to how the truck will only put on 20,000 to 25,000km a year the cheaper packages fit good for us. We went from a used Mack to a new truck because we were tired of the constant repair bills of $4000 to $$15000 every couple months it seemed. One guy thinks seeing it’s a new truck that we will be maintenance free seeing it won’t see much km, but I’m afraid of it being the same situation as the last one. Even being new, semis and boats are just money pits. The new dd16 engine on the showroom floor, uninstalled has a price tag of around $50,000 and scares the crap out of me every time I walk by it lol
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainviewTruck View Post
Buy the warranty, and build a relationship with the dealer. A failed turbo or "minor" engine issue will gobble up $10k awfully quick.
Do you see quite a few newer trucks with under 100,000km come in for stuff like turbos, injectors, or catastrophic failures?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:38 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4675 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Nothing to do with normal stuff but you reminded me, in the 80’s Kawasaki sold a road racer bike.
The cycle mag reviewing it cited the warranty
“If it breaks in half, you get to keep both halfves!”
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2878 Post(s)
Quote:
Do you see quite a few newer trucks with under 100,000km come in for stuff like turbos, injectors, or catastrophic failures?
Bought 2 2013 Volvo's brand new, in 5.5 years I had a failed turbo speed sensor, one u-joint and a leaking air conditioning line. Both have about 100,000km on them now.

At new the dealer was really reluctant to trade mileage for time, I don't think they like the on-going liability. Shouldn't need warranty for 160,000 except for emissions which is 5 years anyway. Keeping it out of the dealer shop will help keep repair bills down too, I use a local shop if I need anything.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

I finally broke down and decided to extend the warranty, and no word of a lie as I was on the phone with the warranty dept giving my credit card number, the semi starting squealing warning sounds. Every engine light came on and “shutdown in process” on the dash. I’m not a religious man, but I think that was a sign from a higher power confirming my choice. Truck is now on route to repair shop 12,000km on a new truck and this will be the 4th time it’s been in for repairs. I’d bought a new truck to avoid the constant grief of a used one, and am having worse luck with this. Very disappointed. For every 10km on the road hauling, 1 of those kilometres is from bob tailing to dealership
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2878 Post(s)
Quote:
I finally broke down and decided to extend the warranty, and no word of a lie as I was on the phone with the warranty dept giving my credit card number, the semi starting squealing warning sounds. Every engine light came on and “shutdown in process” on the dash. I’m not a religious man, but I think that was a sign from a higher power confirming my choice. Truck is now on route to repair shop 12,000km on a new truck and this will be the 4th time it’s been in for repairs. I’d bought a new truck to avoid the constant grief of a used one, and am having worse luck with this. Very disappointed. For every 10km on the road hauling, 1 of those kilometres is from bob tailing to dealership
Yikes! As I started reading that I thought to myself that since you bought it you would be trouble free now, but clearly not the case. Often get fertilizer delivered by a fleet that runs a lot of Mexiliners and it sounded to me like most of issues were related to emissions. Sounds like you got a lemon so far, hope that improves. Warranty is a small comfort when your machine is in the shop...

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Yikes! As I started reading that I thought to myself that since you bought it you would be trouble free now, but clearly not the case. Often get fertilizer delivered by a fleet that runs a lot of Mexiliners and it sounded to me like most of issues were related to emissions. Sounds like you got a lemon so far, hope that improves. Warranty is a small comfort when your machine is in the shop...
Yah sure seems to be a lemon, I’d bought new because the payment on my used Mack plus the annual repair costs were the same yearly as a payment on a new truck. So I guess my biggest fear was paying the higher payment for a new truck, and then being caught paying massive repair bills again on top of it. It sucks that these trucks/tractors have such good engines and transmissions. But between electronics and def systems we have more grief than the tractors from the 70’s.

The stupidity of the def systems and limp modes/derates bothers me. Neighbour bought a new kenworth last year. At 20,000 km the engine went, before that 6 times towed to the dealer for def issues. He purchased the extended warranty at point of sale, but got so frustrated that he went and said he had to get it deleted so that it would run more than a day. And was told that he voided his extended warranty he just purchased for $15,000. Haha so I guess I’m not alone in the struggle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page