How does a Guy Make the Hawes Auger Mover Safe - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
How does a Guy Make the Hawes Auger Mover Safe

We have about a 10 year old Hawes auger mover on a 10 inch Sakundiak auger. If the steering tire hits a bump in the ground when backing up the auger, the complete left side of the mover with the controls will flip all the way around upside down and pin your hands on the ground if you do not let go. Tonight when it was flipping over from a small rut in the ground while backing up I let go of it and quickly shut the engine off to keep the auger from smashing into my drill. What is the solution to this? Has anyone else had this happen to them? This has happened with this unit since we have had it. I much prefer my Wheatheart mover over this Hawes mover. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks SouthernSK

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Attach a chain to limit the distance it can pivot?

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
I've not used one to picture just how far the movements and articulation of the walking beam requires to move and as SWMan mentioned a limiting strap/chain, if that doesn't work would it be possible to create mounting points where a two way acting type steering shock could be used. Something that might control any radical sudden movements but not limit the travel as the angles change when lifting or lowering the unit or the smaller movements of the walking beam itself as it travels over the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

I think I am going to try mount a limit chain or something to limit the movement. When the control side hits some rolling resistance on the ground instead of the wheels rolling the whole control side with the two wheel pivots all the way around upside down pinning the controls on the ground. It happens so fast and is completely unsafe.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Made a comment to them about this at a farm show. Ours is all smashed up too. Sounded like it was just us with a problem 😃. Like the ideas to stop it. Thanks
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

I have talked to them as well and have not gotten much help. This thing is liability and will hurt someone bad someday. I can not believe they are not concerned about the liability or getting sued from someone that gets hurt.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
I think that there is a bar that bolts across the frame on the 4 tire steering that limits the kick back
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

There is a bar but mine is on the wrong side to prevent this. I wonder if they put the bar on backwards from the factory. Twix if you have one could you check if your bar is on the top or bottom or even post a picture of it.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

I checked my mover and their is a 1 inch tube on the top. In order to prevent the mover from flipping around the 1 inch tube would have to be on the bottom. Does anyone know if they put a 1 imch tube normally on the bottom or only on the top?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Afte studying this thing yesterday there is no way to use a chain or a bar on the bottom unless you want to remove it each time you lift your auger up. As you lift the auger up, the arm that the bar is mounted on moves up into the vertical position when fully extended. In my opinion the Hawes mover is a poor design and unsafe. I am going to try fabricate a bumper bar off of the auger tube that the mover undercariage will hit when it tries pivioting around when you are backing up in the down position.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page