Grain trailer catwalks - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Grain trailer catwalks

just looking into/debating installing an aluminum walkway on the inside of a newer doepker tridem on the ladder side to make life easier and safer. I've found myself over the years needing to walk across the top to check the center hopper and its a little sketchy, don't really want to fall and break a leg or neck! has anyone ever done this (walkways, not broken bones lol!)? if so do you have any pictures of how you did it? If I weld any brackets I want to make sure its all on the cross bars and that it doesn't wreck any exterior paint. I plan on using aluminum deck span, 7"x 2" or 9.5"x2" .125". any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, maybe theirs a reason not to do this? I don't think it would interfere with loading or anything, and weight isn't a big deal (86lbs for the 9.5 deck span 45' long, plus brackets)

THANKS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Our old 80's vintage deopker had this. It was just a frame with expanded metal maybe 2 feet wide. I always thought it was a fantastic idea. Make sure you post some pics of what you come up with when your done.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Would it hold grain on it not clean out properly? Or do I have a different idea in my mind?

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:14 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Have a wireless camera on my auger for when I am filling trucks. Best thing ever, rarely even need to climb the ladder, watch the air gauges and camera. Maybe could mount a camera in each hopper. Have seen some older trailers with the catwalk and have seen it listed on option sheets from Doepker.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:49 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Golden west trailers in Moose Jaw installs sight glasses(small round windows) so you can see what the level of the centre hopper is at. Ours has two, simple and works.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
All good thoughts, thanks. I'll have to check and see if this walkway decking that I'm thinking of using would hold grain on top. that wouldn't be good, I don't want to create any extra work/headaches. The cameras are a great idea and fairly inexpensive, but I still get the feeling that there might come times where a guy needs to get up there and walk that narrow rail. I was thinking of installing cameras as well as this. I imagine that they would be awesome for loading in winter! I inquired about a walkway at the dealership I bought it from and they said they'd never heard of such a thing!?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We have them on all our trailers. They are 12 expanded metal and round pipe on each side, the pipe gets u clamped to the horizontal bars under the hoops and the ends are bolted to the trailer end wall. I have pics on computer I will get for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg catwalk 015.jpg (692.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg catwalk 020.jpg (482.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg phone pics 073.jpg (269.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg phone pics 074.jpg (311.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg phone pics 075.jpg (382.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg phone pics 076.jpg (366.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg phone pics 069.jpg (350.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg phone pics 070.jpg (471.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg phone pics 071.jpg (462.8 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by glensts; 05-15-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page