Grain beetles - The Combine Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By sasksodbuster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Grain beetles

Been fighting rusty grain beetles a lot this year and wanting to know was others are using to control them in stores grain. Was thinking of using protect it on all my cereals. Also Iíve had bins that keep having issues with the bugs and want to clean them out for good. Wat can I use.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Used to spray malathion on the inside of the bin but I know it’s illegal if you plan to put canola in there. Don’t know now the legality of other crops. Last time I had problems I sprinkled diatomaceous earth on the bin floors a month ahead of harvest, and threw a cup full in with every load at harvest. Biggest thing is to get bins cleaned out this time of year so they are dried out and present little opportunity for pests to be there. Even grain outside the door should be cleaned up. Protect It is a finer grind expensive form of diatomaceous earth. The regular feed grade stuff you get at a feed store does the trick and is exponentially cheaper.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper22 View Post
Used to spray malathion on the inside of the bin but I know itís illegal if you plan to put canola in there. Donít know now the legality of other crops. Last time I had problems I sprinkled diatomaceous earth on the bin floors a month ahead of harvest, and threw a cup full in with every load at harvest. Biggest thing is to get bins cleaned out this time of year so they are dried out and present little opportunity for pests to be there. Even grain outside the door should be cleaned up. Protect It is a finer grind expensive form of diatomaceous earth. The regular feed grade stuff you get at a feed store does the trick and is exponentially cheaper.
Found that Dia does not work. Toss in some protect it. And make sure to really powder the tops of the bins

Week Men Create Hard Times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
When your silo is empty and clean pour the DE into the intake of your leaf blower open the lid and it gets everywhere. DE is only really a barrier treatment. If grain was not treated when you put it in there, there is not much that you can successfully do unless you have a sealed silo.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
some protect it on the floors certainly helps but cooling the grain off right after harvest and then freezing it in the winter with the fans / vents is the most important. I think every time we have had bugs has been either in bins w no aeration or ones where we didn't think we needed to run it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
We start running our fans as soon as we start combining, try to get temperatures below 20C, than move on. Later in October we will run fans again to knock temperatures down close to 0C. Very seldom do we have problems with bugs. It helps to have bin cables to monitor temperature.m
torriem and bradw2 like this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:36 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
We do the same and haven't had any bug issues in a long time.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Bugs go out with the dust when cleaning bin bottoms with the grain vac
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page