Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: central Alberta
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Had the same thing happen this spring. Right full of fertilizer and right at the top of its reach of course. And busy with too many other things.
Very worn out back up auger, so the fix was as simple as possible. I didn't disassemble anything, I cut the shield off either side of the break, split it and took it off.
Ground off the nasty jagged parts sticking out.
Clamped a 6" long angle iron across the break to keep it all lined up, welded the opposite side back together, grind off and move angle iron to opposite side, and weld the shaft together under where the angle iron was, then welded the angle iron along the sides.
Added another angle on the first side of the shaft and welded it as well.
Promised myself I wouldn't grab the shaft with no shield next time I am watching the bin fill to the top...
Justin Trudeau, accomplishing miracles since 2015, making Pierre Elliot look smart, competent and western friendly.