The Combine Forum banner

Grain Moisture Testers

16K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  vailcat 
#1 ·
Looking at updating my older 919 moisture tester. It spends its time in the dryer shed so portability is not needed. Anything better out there than a 919?

Talking to the elevator grading room they havnt used 919s for years. Its all new computerized protein and moisture testers, with huge price tags.

#5 ·
919 still industry standard as far as I know, just was looking at the CGC site and it is specifically mentioned. Most elevators I deal with still use one.
I have both a 919 and the Trimet 393 which works the same but is more portable.

If you have an older 919 send it in and have it gone thru and updated, be cheaper than buying new. I know you don't want the aftermarket upgrades, was something about someone adding a digital display or such, effected accuracy.

https://www.halross.com/English/contact.asp

#16 ·
The 919 is the standard in the industry. CGC uses them, and any elevator that I know of uses them, and when they have someone come out to calibrate the machines, they also use the 919.

One thing to keep in mind is that they do change/adjust the charts from time to time. Found that out the hard way one time. On the ones that are automatic, I assume there is a way to upload new charts if they are changed?

#17 ·
Go ask your local concert what they use. Everyone has switched to GAC for accuracy reasons and speed couple years ago. 919 was great in there day just not so much now. Haul in 68lb wheat or 53lb Canola and see how accurate your 919 is. The rest of the world has been using the likes of GACs for years we where just slow to adapt in Canada. The thing about GACs is they adjust for weight and big temperature ranges- also store a endless amount of data

#20 ·
GAC 2500 is made by Dickey John and is a Unified Grain Moisture Algorithm tester. US has used them for years and CGC approved there use around 2015 or there abouts Everything about them is automatic and they test almost any type of grain you can think of for US or Canadian grade spec and calibration

#23 ·
I have a 919, but at AIM the other day there was a very cute saleslady selling the MA-404 tester. It actually looked very handy, was portable(rechargable lithium)
Gave moisture, temp and bu weight, and also printed of the results on a slip of paper automatically. Was a nice looking tester i thought.
She said the show special was $2000.
https://grainanalyzers.ca

Now what was nice looking? The tester or the "cute saleslady"?????!!!!!!

Reactions: adsinaus
#22 ·
The issue I have with the Dicky John testers is how in the world can a mid sized operation like myself justify an 8000 dollar moisture tester when a 919 is 1500? For goodness sakes its not testing diamonds its just canola. I have tested our vacuum tube 919 against the Dicky John at the elevator and its so close its comical.

#24 ·
We have the auto 919 and the ma404. Both work ok we test alot of grain when we are running are grain dryer.
I don't think it matters at all what you have . You need to test a sample and compare the same sample at the end points your going to use . There seems to be differences at each location in moisture compared to are numbers. It's always close but one elevator can be .2high and the other can be .2low etc.

At the end of the day it wont matter how accurate yours is as long as you know the difference to where you will be selling it . We prefer the auto 919 . The ma404 has to be picked up and turned upside down to clean out . The ma 404 is great to take out to feilds to do checks there.

#28 ·
We have always used the 919 and bought one of the new 919 testers last year. They seem cheaply made now, we didn't like the meter or the "feel" of the new one so we returned it. We sent our 20 year old one into Farmtronics for repair and calibration and it has been working great. Keeping our eyes open for another older one at auction for a backup.

#29 ·
We bought the Perten portable auto tester at flaman. It has really sped up the test process. We have 2 919 testers but the trucker was always wanting to know bushel weight so he knew how much would fit in the bin. I'm not convinced yet that it is as accurate but they say it is when calibrated. The trucker loves it and we will use it right at the dryer this winter. So far so good. the 919s are standby at each bin yard. We still use them when a few points matter.

#33 ·
Have the MiniGAC, bushel weight is not accurate at all but moisture is within .3% of 919. Another thing that annoys me about miniGAC is if canola seeds get between the load cell and the body the weight will be completely screwed and the moisture will be wrong so you have to retest and makes sure no seeds get under.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.