Grain maxx auger Good? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Grain maxx auger Good?

I bit the bullet on a 13x85 grain maxx auger. Price was right and it is a 2016. It has the remote hopper and winch swing lift. Are they a decent auger? I like the external gear box setup for servicing but no clue on dependability or hopper versatility for use. Any info what to check would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
I had to look them up when you mentioned the external gearboxes, I like that idea. Hate trying to check the oil on our Farm King gearboxes. I can't tell you anything about them though.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
We have had 3 or 4. Have 2 here now. Have the extend swing hopper. 13”x95’. They have been good for us. No major issues, have replaced bushings on the little augers in hoppers.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Well first thing I noticed was its weight when I let the jack down onto my 1500 hitch on my eco diesel. Mudflaps were 1 mm from the ground. It is built wicked heavy everywhere. I have heard of used augers buckling on rough roads and this one got the test today coming from Prince Albert. Never buckled but my truck wanted to on every railroad and bridge crossing. Hit those at 35 kmh and my dog would look at me like WTH dude. 55-60 kmh where road was good was all I dared. Going to wire it up to the tractor tomorrow and see how things work. Not sure about much on how everything is supposed to work but have 2 remotes and will start trying it out tomorrow. Hopper looks incredibly low and long which might be beneficial. Time will tell I guess. It doesn't have a full bin alarm on it but will be putting one on. Debated putting a backup camera on spout to make hitting the hole easy even at night. Have to be one long wire though.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Use a wireless, power from no spill spout light at end.

Finally harvest near...3 weeks late, still COLD, WET(
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2498 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookiller View Post
I bit the bullet on a 13x85 grain maxx auger. Price was right and it is a 2016. It has the remote hopper and winch swing lift. Are they a decent auger? I like the external gear box setup for servicing but no clue on dependability or hopper versatility for use. Any info what to check would be appreciated.

We call ours Grainzilla! Grease as per normal, check boxes. Keep an eye on the cable lifting the box, its a pretty heavy lift. You will curse at a swing auger without extension forever now.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
We call ours Grainzilla! Grease as per normal, check boxes. Keep an eye on the cable lifting the box, its a pretty heavy lift. You will curse at a swing auger without extension forever now.
Heavy lift is an understatement lol for the cable. I have a 4500 lb winch on my side by side and I can only see one end of the freespool knob on the auger and it looks bigger. Sunlight disappeared before I got into checking things real close but tomorrow is another day. Wireless camera sounds nice. will have to check around to see what I can find!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the wireless backup camera advice. Amazon for $85. Have to wait a few days but no big deal. Bushings had some wear Brian so I decided to pull it apart and make it good. When I ran it empty it kind of rattled a bit where the u-joints are beside the bushings. The 4610 Massey I got hooked to it looks so small lol but supposed to only need 100 hp to run it. Our westfield 10" is tired and so am I of trying to keep it going. I had to change gear box shaft and angle drive in hopper last yr. It seems like the bottom bearing on auger just can't take the load and fails every second yr at least
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page