MC 600B Grain Dryer - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello everyone, I’ve got a mc 600b10 grain dryer sitting in storage and has been there for the last 15 years. It needs some minor work to get up and running, I’ve never seen it run as it has been in the family since new and was used two generations ago. I’m weighing my options as to whether this dryer is worth the time and effort or whether it would be best to upgrade to a smaller 90’s super b.

Does anyone have any info on this machine? It is run by a pto, and I’ve heard horror stories of burning grain in this machine. I know nothing about it so a manual or someone with experience with this model would be of great help. How many bu does it hold along with how many bu/hr does it do coming down 4 percent. Is it just a matter of setting timers and temperature in order to dry to a certain percentage? Is this a trial and error job or is there somewhere to start? I would be looking at drying barley and wheat. Is this machine able to cool the grain enough before it goes into a nonaeration bin?

Any info on this machine would be greatly appreciate. Thanks all!

Last edited by Phillip.C; 09-15-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Barn
I started a thread a couple years ago with the purchase of a MC400.
Theres not a lot to them. I used mine little as my dad got a new NECO dryer.
But was quite happy with the 400's performance and wouldn't at all be afraid of using it for cereals.

I dont know how to post a link but search "Older MC grain dryers 400, 600, 800 etc"

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
First off you can find the proper manual here....it is determined by serial number....

https://www.mathewscompany.com/downl...ls-851497.html

I'm second owner of a family owned from new since in the 60s, have had it myself for more years than I like to admit lol. Are they the greatest, not by today's standards no, do they work, for most crops yes. Canola with original screens is a prob, but there are ways to get it done with out too big of mess. Reason there is a prob is holes are too big for canola. They were built for corn actually and cereals was a good secondary use. Their beginning production predates large scale rapeseed production, thus the large holes in the earlier machines.
PTO drive is either 540 or 1000. Using a tractor to run them did allow for running the auxiliary augers for loading and unloading with hydraulics. The machine itself requires two separate 120 volt power supplies if it has the electric top leveling auger(some did run on 220 for the auger), one runs the controls, the other that auger. They suck liquid propane unless yours is natural gas. They are a continuous machine, once things are going and filled, wet grain goes in the top, dry out the back, however at initial fill, the grain in the lower section must be put back thru as only the top section dries with heat, the bottom section is cooling only.
Those temp sensors on the sides control the feed impeller ratchets. The ratchets are adjustable for how fast and how much they stroke, thus affecting volume that goes thru in a given time. Once set, it still requires hourly at min checks on how actual moisture is, fluctuations are common as it is not a high tech system, so often you end up over drying some so it all balances out in the end.
When you are done all of whatever you been drying, you shut down the auto feed until it has run long enough to dry the grain in the top section, then turn off the heat and let it cool as you begin unloading.
They need to blocked well in at least four places front to back under the skids, wheels off the ground, they are only for transport, and must also be level side to side and front to back. Doesn't need to be anchored, least I never have mine. Tractor is parked in line with pto and the hitch is again only used for transport.
Not sure what else to say for now, down load your book and read thru it, any questions, ask, couple others on here like me with several years and a shitload of bushels experience. Just keep asking nicely and respectfully like you already have, that goes a long way to guys willing to help out.
Not sure you say where you are from, maybe let us know, might be someone not too far from you with one, like what I mean, is to spend an hour having things explained while actually looking at the machine is a lot better than just on here.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies guys! My SN is 16156.

How many bu/hr is this machine rated to run at in wheat let’s say 18%-14% on a good day not to cold or wet out?

What is the capacity in bushels without the hopper on top?

Is there a manual way to run it without any moisture sensors or anything? If the grain was consistently the same moisture, just get the gates and everything set and not rely on any extra electrical which could be a little scary.

I did have a look at the manual and couldn’t find any info on these specs. Does anyone have a walk around video or something of these dryers running just so we can better understand how the mechanics of it all work
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Well thats about as close as you can get without being related lol, mine is 16325.

When you say without the hopper up top, are you referring to the small optional hopper that was part of the leveling auger setup or do you mean the whole top part above the screens? Mine is approx 250bu plus to fill as I recall, not something I really ever paid attention too as its sort of irrelevant number given they are a continuous machine, not batch.

Under idea conditions only pulling a few points you might push towards 200 bu an hour and that get reduced as conditions get worse.

They can be run either automatic or manual, simply make the choice with the switch on the control panel. You still need power even on manual as it is electric solenoids that control the feed ratchets and control the burner. The feed impellers is what controls grain flow, there is no other manual means of doing so. Electrical is actually fairly simple, book gives good schematics, and even with the burner system, newer style valves, components, ect are easily adapted in place of originals so having things work as they should is easy to do. I have heard of the burner and vaporizing ring rusting out, most commonly due to condensation from sitting unused for extended periods.

They are set up with controls that will shut down the fire if say the top hopper gets low on grain, leveling auger don't kick in and such, over the years only time I ever had any kind of fire situation was when a bearing went in an idler and it ate the fan drive belts, just happened to walking towards it when it all happened, lots of banging and clanging and bits of belts flying and before the air pressure switch shut off the propane the flames were coming out the front of the top fan almost to the point of scorching the cab of the 6030 hooked on to it but within a second or two all went dark except for the tractors lights. As for setting fire to the grain, chaff building up inside the top plenum can ignite if its not kept somewhat clean is the most probable cause for fire.

Not a lot of info online on these that I know of, they are an old machine and not really a lot of them in use anymore, guys have went with newer technology and better mousetraps. I have seen them sell for as little as hundred bucks, was a real nice one at a sale not far from here that did bring $3200 and that surprised me and several others. But it had been kept inside and was in really nice shape. Don't think you mentioned yet where you are at, like I said, might be someone close to you that has one....

Was just thinking, the spec numbers on capacity and such that MC had are in the advertising brochure, which I have, think its tucked inside the manual, I'll have to have a look when I have a minute.

Last edited by albertabuck; 09-16-2019 at 12:10 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I have a MC400 bought it back in mid 2000 and only used it once but seem to work good. I was drying feed wheat and was running temp around 200. If needing parts I was able to get them from Altona farm parts in Altona MB. In 2011 we had lots of canola left out and I looked into getting canola screens for it and they were available. There is a book online that you can down load or just read it there.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I have a 900 model and was thinking of changing it to canola screens. Do you change them or is it added to the original screens. They are simple dryers and nothing much to go wrong.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Barn
I have a 400, I looked into doing something to allow mine to run canola... turns out it's not really worth it. If you wanna run canola either make a mess or get a different dryer.
Sure you can open the meter roll covers catching what falls out and shovel canola out of the plenum... but what's the fun in that!?

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last gen farmer View Post
I have a 900 model and was thinking of changing it to canola screens. Do you change them or is it added to the original screens. They are simple dryers and nothing much to go wrong.
To change the screens you need to completely dissemble and replace the panels inside and out.
After many things got tried over the 50 some years these machines been around that most people found didn't work, working off that experience I have done some mods to mine with some aeration planking to greatly reduce the issue of leakage of the top section, not perfect by any means, but reduced internal leakage by well over 80 percent. And still works for cereals as well leaving things in place. And there is ways to deal with the bulk of the balance internally with some ingenuity that you don't need to crawl in to do it manually. Trouble working with things inside the grain column, its a PITA to do things because you need to work around all the internal bracing between the screens or take dam near the whole thing apart and then reassemble it. But where the real problem is at is the top sloped area of the inside of the column. And again, with some ingenuity, containment of what comes out the outside screens keeps most off the ground, but its not perfect either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page