Tough flax - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
OH thought you were talking about the mother F!!!ing straw bang bang bang !! aaaahhh! spray it, swath it, wait for -15 frost or burn it? LOL !!!

Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1032 Post(s)
I would swath it, then hope for a big wind storm, problem solved!

mauryj likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmb View Post
Any advantage to swathing this time of year? In 2016 we finished straight cutting flax in November and the tough straw did a lot of damage to the combine. Was like putting tree branches through. Part of me says swathed will he worse because it won't dry out as well but then I wonder if the straw won't cure anyway and may rot a bit if swathed. Best case scenario is it will be laying 10 days before I get to combining flax while I finish other stuff, lots of green stems right now but good killing frost in forecast.
16 was a bad year for pasmo. It doesn't matter when you put it through the combine after it has been infected. It sounds like you are combining a rock pile and can do serious damage if you run the combine to capacity. Also hard on the fuel bill. I had previous experience with pasmo and hit it with fungicide at 10% flower in 16 for that reason. I (and the combine) could tell where the plane had missed a spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
I already earned the merit badge for putting the brush grapple on FEL and picking flax out of any wind break and the neighbors field when swathed so dont need to live that scenario again. I couldn't say if 2016 was pasmo but good to be aware of that. The whole field whether hills or low spots came out the back as wads straight cutting. If it was disease that toughened the straw then that is something to remember for future observations. Think I will swath 30 acres or so just to see if there is a difference when I go to combine. Forecast has - 9 for a couple nights so that will kill what is there so swath a bit in a few days and see how much wind that brings to my area.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
I remember doing flax one year and it would wrap on the stone trap beater so bad it was smoking . The only thing was to get under there and cut it out with a serrated knife . Well that didn't last too long and we had called in the huts with their JD's and they weren't having mush better luck . The only combine going was a old twin rotor yellow new Holland ( old yeller ) and he wasn't banging or nothing and the straw coming out wasn't all chewed up into cotton balls .
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
We grew 220 acres once!!!! f Asked a old guy how do you know when you can combine it .."Sonny he said,, don't worry it will let you know when it's ready",,,,we tried for weeks waiting and trying at 1-1.5 mph,,, then one warm afternoon, magic, it decided it was time..4.5 mph and away we went ..for 4hours then back to plugging and pulling out the friggen flax..In the end last off Nov 21th,,over a bale a straw a acre ,44 bushels ,,16 n% moisture and dried it all....Wife still swearing at the stuff..as she says Fukin Flax ..
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Yes flax is the hardest commodity to deal with on a damp yr. The straw is unreal and that is why they make clothing out of it. Using this stuff to make tow ropes for stuck air drills would likely be a great idea as well. If you have deep erosion areas on slopes etc just mix dirt and flax straw together. Flax straw doesn't break down easy and will be there for yrs. Our R62 has it wrap on the outer part of the rear feeder chain drive. We have wrap shields between the sprockets and it does have a problem there. Just next to the bearings on either side there is a round pipe which bearings are tucked away in. It wraps and smokes into a black donut. Over the yrs I learned to just leave it be and keep going. Eventually it stops smouldering and just turns into an anti wrap shield itself. My dad on the other hand can't stand smoke coming from there and has to deal with it instantly. So he pokes and pulls at it letting the embers fall into the stone trap area making a real fire lol. Somehow when you keep going this never happens but stop and play with it and you have trouble. I remember 750MF and 760 MF days when every paddle was wrapped tight in the feeder house. Spent many hrs with a Sawzall cutting that crap out.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Forgot to add that the good part of flax for me with the straw, is heating my yard. Flax straw dry yields 8500 btu's/lb. Throw a round bale of that in my huge boiler and you have heat galore.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
These type of falls are terrible for flax harvest especially if there is a lot of straw with the flax. Tough flax and tough long flax straw are dufficult to put through any machine. The old conventional like a 9600 are probably the best for getting it through.
mauryj likes this.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Leave it till spring

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page