Tough flax - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Tough flax

How tough can a guy harvest flax and not worry about it not coming out of the bin for a few days before it gets dryed. Not worried about drying it can go through dryer a couple times if I have too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 855 Post(s)
Well if you are getting after it within a few days to dry, a point on moisture is probably ok. Wouldn't chance it past that.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
We took flax off 12-14% last year, cool and it kept in the bin fine turning every few weeks. We didn’t dry it, found a buyer that was willing to blend it off with dry. Was told that drying flax can mess up the oil content. Do you have any experience drying flax? Would like to hear from someone with experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I believe I took it at 13 last year and was no problem drying. Gonna take a sample this afternoon just want to know how far I can push it. Looks like only today and tomorrow as far as the forecast goes
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
If it comes off cold I wouldn't even worry for a week . And I would say 4 points over I still wouldn't worry. Aeration doesn't work so good on flax though so don't delay too long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
We have several times taken off flax up to around 13%. We dried it in air bins using a 100-125,000 btu diesel heater in front of the aeration fan and filling the bin half full. It takes around a week to dry it like is. The trick is to take out at least three feet of grain out of the bin around 2-3 days and 7 days after you start drying it. If you do not you will have a ring of rotten flax stuck to the wall of the bin where all the condensation runs down into. Flax is very difficult to blow air through.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Well first truck load was 14.2 Not as bad as I was worried about
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Any advantage to swathing this time of year? In 2016 we finished straight cutting flax in November and the tough straw did a lot of damage to the combine. Was like putting tree branches through. Part of me says swathed will he worse because it won't dry out as well but then I wonder if the straw won't cure anyway and may rot a bit if swathed. Best case scenario is it will be laying 10 days before I get to combining flax while I finish other stuff, lots of green stems right now but good killing frost in forecast.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:24 AM
NVW

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
"tree branches", neighbour here said it was like combing #9 wire that same year. Both good analogies.

Leo
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
I can remember drying flax with a 500 bushel behlen batch drier and it wasn't good as the flax would come out of the louvers when filling or unloading making quite a mess on the ground . Had to have plywood down to catch it but if it was snowing or raining you would basically shut down . But can remember thrashing flax with snow on it and bubbles coming out of the screens but then had to go inside and scrape the gunk off after the batch . Won't doo that again EVER !!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page