The Combine Forum banner

Dryer life Expectancy

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Windmillfarms 
#1 ·
Been looking at some dryers and some are 20 years old with little to no rust and some that are 5 years or less that are totally rusted out. I would like to buy a mix dryer but it’s seams that they don’t come in stainless steel only galvanized. The tower dryers are stainless. I’m leaning towards the mix dryer because of bushel weight for corn so they say. So my question is how do you keep a dryer from rusting?

#3 ·
I see some tower driers with a roof over top. How does that affect functionality? Does trapping all the moisture under the roof cause any problems, ie. rain/ice falling back down from condensation, recirculating damp air?

#4 ·
The moisture falls down and makes a skating rink. Dad had a roof over a dryer years ago and hated it for that reason. We are thinking of a way to make a retractable roof on ours, nothing over it as of yet.

#5 ·
Roof indeed sucks, we keep our roof closed on continious dryer, frame is in mint shape as we had it repainted once with a good quality paint, the tiers are galvanised, and unless you have a fire it stays clean, we always wash our dryer in spring amd clean as good as possible in fall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.