• 1 Post By wetfarmer
  • 1 Post By Marusko
  • 1 Post By garyfunk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Another canola storage question.

In ths process of turning a bin of canola over right now. It's a 5000 bu hopper with rocket air. First 1000 bushels came out dry. Now I'm getting up to 10.5 readings. Temp started at -1 and now it +2C.

There will be 2000 bushels left in the bin when my trucks are full. Can I dump it back on top and throw some more air in heat in? Or Should I put it in a new bin? And empty this one right out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

There was about 4000 bu in it to start. But it was really tough stuff with lots of sprout and crap in it. The only other bin i have it a 6500 hopper with air. Which i was saving to put the rest of my crop in.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
If you have a couple trucks in the yard fill them up so you have the bin as empty as you can get it. When you set up to harvest again dump them back in and givr. Or just move it over if you are gonna worry about it the whole time. There is a chance with a rocket that a small area in the bottom might be out of the air flow area and you could get a small pocket that might spoil. Probably not but it could happen.
kevlar likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Both my trucks are full right now. I'm just curious as to what's in the bottom of the bin. The bottom was one of the toughest loads put in it. I guess it also depends on my actual moisture. I suppose I'll be moving the whole bin out.

My charts only go down to +10C. How many points do I take off or add if my temperature is actually around 0C.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Anything testing under 11.0% @ 0 degrees should be safe till at least May unless you have a high green count.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
The bottom of our air bins are always the driest when we empty them.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMountain View Post
My charts only go down to +10C. How many points do I take off or add if my temperature is actually around 0C.
What I do is if your grain temp is 0 for instance, then I look at the difference in moisture between 20 and 10 degrees on the chart and add it to what 10 shows. The relationship between temp and moisture seems pretty linear on the temperature scale.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
How tough was it when it went in? Since it's a rocket and not a floor, I'd say empty it right out, unless you're really short on time right now, but I'd still do it sooner than later. Then shuffle it back to the 5000 if you need the extra room in the 6500 to finish combining what you have left.

Also you could use a heat lamp to warm the sample to within the temp range. Or you could extrapolate, so what ever the difference is between 20C and 10C, should be roughly the difference between 10C and 0C. I'm not sure how accurate testers are outside of the chart range though.
garyfunk likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 05:03 PM

Putting your sample in a ziploc bag and leaving it at room temperature for a few hours can also get the temperature up without changing the moisture content.
kevlar likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Just dumping my last load. Emptied the bin right out. Couple tough spots but nothing major. I guess I'll sleep a little better now. On average i didnt have a sample go over 9.9. But that is at my meter reading and 10C. Think I'll take a sample and bring it in the house over night to warm it and see what is says then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page