1978 C65 Chevy Grain Truck Questions? - Page 3 - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
These are not complicated transmissions, easy to take out and easy to work on. At least the one in my old chevy tandem was. Mine wouldn't stay in 3rd because the snap ring holding the synchro in place failed. Pretty easy fix. Only problem was getting parts. It took a while to find someone who could get them for me and then it took a couple weeks for them to come.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:16 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4528 Post(s)
My most memorable truck experence, not counting when I rolled the 75 IH, was coming down a hill a hearing a terrible noise under the hood of my uncle's 66 GMC truck with 327 engine.
Is it bad when you can see the crankshaft through the side of the block?

post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Thats a nicer looking unit than the old girl I had...and mine was about twenty years younger then yours at the time MIne had the distinction of being the last tandem to haul a load of grain across the scale in the Alberta Pool elevator still standing in Spruce Grove. I'd been across that scale over the years as a kid with my father in the old '53 R180 Cornbinder, and that scale never creaked and moaned like it did as the old Heavy Chevy pulled on Was a few of us with tandems hauling in there before it closed, we all wondered which one of us might be the one to end up in the pit someday. It pushed the scale to max capacity, like within hundreds of pounds, I can still remember being swore at by the agent

I used to pack close to 600 bu of barley on mine...not that it was legal Depending on what you're doing, may find it is a bit short on power, but you should be ok.

Be it Clark, New Process or Spicer, I have never had issues getting parts for those trannys, go directly to a shop that specializes in drive train and transmissions.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
With an 18' bed, you could have 60" sides on it and it would still handle it good. Providing your combine auger will clear it.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Load it easy until you get a feel for how it handles the ground. There are few things that get stuck easier than a single axle with a tag axle.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&M Farms View Post
With an 18' bed, you could have 60" sides on it and it would still handle it good. Providing your combine auger will clear it.
Truck had another 12in board on top of the one there now, guy said he cut it off cause it held too much for him. He left some sharp corners and edges on the boards that will tear a tap, so Im going to have to work on them or just redo them all. They getting kind of weak anyway.

I guess we will run the truck for now and get our wheat in and then see about working on it. We don't have much wheat to do anyway, so that will give us a chance to figure out all the bugs in it.

1982 F2 Gleaner Hydro Golden Harvest Edition.
Spring Hollow Hay Farm. Like us on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM

When loaded and coming out of the field, just barely have that air tag making contact. If to much down pressure is applied, with the exception of highway driving, you may exspireance alot of wheel slip and may even get stuck. When dumping make sure you run ample air pressure, until empty.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&M Farms View Post
When loaded and coming out of the field, just barely have that air tag making contact. If to much down pressure is applied, with the exception of highway driving, you may exspireance alot of wheel slip and may even get stuck. When dumping make sure you run ample air pressure, until empty.
Never had anything to do with an air tag of this vintage and on the GM chassis, so your comments caught my attention.

On my '75 C65 I had hydraulic brakes and therefore the hydraulic lift tag that used a 12 volt electric hydraulic pack mounted inside the frame rails. The tag axle was lifted by a cylinder mounted above the axle that pulled on cables attached to the same. The suspension was completely mechanical, and while I wouldn't say it was similar to Reyco, it was an equalizing suspension, as in both axles carried the same amount of weight at all times. There was no means of adjusting "down pressure" on the tag. It was either up or down. By default, it would remain in the down position.

Now if I understand what you are saying, the air version on trucks with air brakes operated a whole lot differently then

As for lifting mine, that was only ever done seldomly. Was never done loaded, only ever empty when in mud or deep snow. Most certainly wasn't like a true tandem in poor traction conditions, but with a bit of common sense, I really never had too many issues and was able to leave it in the down position 99.99999 percent of the time

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
It would be pretty hard on the truck to lift the tag when loaded. Saw our neighbors doing that when it was muddy outside. You could see the tires bulging on the drive axles and you could see the frame rails behind the drive axle sagging down. I don't think I would try that to often. It might help a little bit but by putting all that weight on one axle it just sinks quicker into the ground anyways.

We used to have a ford tag axle with a 429 in it. It got about 3 miles to the gallon when loaded and was gutless. It was a pain to move with it when empty and the tag was on the ground. We never lifted it to often because you never knew if it would go back down again. Usually once a year I will take it to the elevator with a load of grain to get the cobwebs out of it. It really makes you appreciate what it was replaced with.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 11:41 AM

Alot of the trucks around here with an air tag(tag being behind the drive axle)run smaller diameter tires. On my two trucks with them I have 10.00/20 on the drive and 9.00/20 on the tag. The drive axle has mud grips but the tag doesn't. I don't lift my tag all the way up in a muddy or slick situation but I do decrease my down pressure by 20-25psi so I can put a little more weight on my drivers for added traction, until I'm on a no slip surface. As for dumping grain I run the tag all the way down to take the pressure off the frame and drive axle and tires. When empty I run them down but not max pressure, you don't have to but it makes smother ride and doesn't bounce the front end as bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page