1978 C65 Chevy Grain Truck Questions? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question 1978 C65 Chevy Grain Truck Questions?

Ok, Just got this truck, going be driving it home today. Its a 1978 C65 with 18ft dump and grain Body with air brakes, rear tandum axle, with 366 gas motor with 5+2 trans.

We used to have a 1974 with same motor and trans but single axle and hydro brakes.

Anyway, The one thing we know is wrong with it, is the guy says it will pop out of 3rd gear when you let of the gas. Any ideas what this is and what it would take to fix it? Guy says it only has 50K miles on it, just seems odd it would already be popping out of 3rd gear. maybe not? He did say you could hold it in with your hand, if that says anything.

Also this truck is about 4 years older than me, and I called about getting Farm Truck insurance on it, and lady told me she would need a Price for the truck when it was new, I have no Clue, any Ideas? She told me to guess, I don't even know what to guess at.

Also, first Truck with Air Brakes, any Pointers or advice??

thanks
jb.

1982 F2 Gleaner Hydro Golden Harvest Edition.
Spring Hollow Hay Farm. Like us on Facebook:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Hello Springhollowhayfarm
One thing about air brakes, moisture in the system can be a problem in the winter time. It will cause the system to freeze up, so make sure your air drier is working good & stock up on some methanol to pour into the system just in case they do freeze up.
Oh, wait! Scratch that advice. I see that you're from Alabama. You don't have to worry about frozen air brakes.

Thank You

MCatSHF

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by springhollowhayfarm View Post
I called about getting Farm Truck insurance on it, and lady told me she would need a Price for the truck when it was new.
I would give her replacememt value. Who knows what the original sticker price was for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 857 Post(s)
For that truck to be a tandem and a 5 and 2...is that actually a tag axle? I had one of that vintage that was, as long as the axle lift works, its an ok set up if you don't see a lot of mud. Are you sure its only a 366 and not a 427 Hope you're on flat ground if it is. Also hope it has the 23500 rear end and not the 18500. If in fact it came with a 366 from the factory, it very well may have the light rear end.

As for it jumping out of gear, its been shifted hard and its now showing the result of that. Impossible to diagnosis long distance, a few things that can cause this. This is an issue that can lead to bigger ones, so be best to have it repaired before more damage is done. Getting a used one from a wrecker may be a option as opposed to having yours rebuilt.

Air brakes....vastly superior IMO

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
For that truck to be a tandem and a 5 and 2...is that actually a tag axle? I had one of that vintage that was, as long as the axle lift works, its an ok set up if you don't see a lot of mud. Are you sure its only a 366 and not a 427 Hope you're on flat ground if it is. Also hope it has the 23500 rear end and not the 18500. If in fact it came with a 366 from the factory, it very well may have the light rear end.

As for it jumping out of gear, its been shifted hard and its now showing the result of that. Impossible to diagnosis long distance, a few things that can cause this. This is an issue that can lead to bigger ones, so be best to have it repaired before more damage is done. Getting a used one from a wrecker may be a option as opposed to having yours rebuilt.

Air brakes....vastly superior IMO
It is a Tag Axle in the back. It lifts up and down with air, seemed to work good when we looked at it.

As for the motor, guy says its a 366, and it looks like the 366 we used to have, I will look into it more, but not sure where to look if it says anywhere. Dont know what axle it has either.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have one that's just like yours but has a 20' bed. Just rebuilt the engine and had a new clutch put in last summer. The new engine pulls great and has proven to be a great truck from field to the bin.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&M Farms View Post
I have one that's just like yours but has a 20' bed. Just rebuilt the engine and had a new clutch put in last summer. The new engine pulls great and has proven to be a great truck from field to the bin.
Well this is going to be our main truck for now, feild to Bins and Bins to Elevators about 30 to 45min away, so hope it holds up ok, at lest a person can work on these old things unlike some of newer ones. Just hate it looks like we going to have trans work right off the bat, but old turck sure is in good shape and good looking for age.

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by springhollowhayfarm View Post
It is a Tag Axle in the back. It lifts up and down with air, seemed to work good when we looked at it.

As for the motor, guy says its a 366, and it looks like the 366 we used to have, I will look into it more, but not sure where to look if it says anywhere. Dont know what axle it has either.
Original specs will be on the equipment sticker inside the door of the glove box, provided someone hasn't removed it

I'd have to check on obvious differences, memory is failing somewhat on that at the moment, I think the 427 had a larger water pump, but those engines do look a lot alike. 427 is longer stroke.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
I hope you have big gas tanks on that thing for those long trips.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Those old trucks you didn't need a speedometer, just had to watch how fast the gas gauge was moving to judge the speed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page