7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Mayoollie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
Sometimes I am confused by the videos coming out of europe. I am not even sure what they are doing.

For instance, why are they strip havesting then stooking the straw afterwards?

And the hay raking, why not just use a windrower and save an operation or does it need to be spread cut first to dry better? Is it humid in Europe? Here in Canada you can cut hay with a swather and bale it 5 days later without even turning it.

Is the land so close together that the grain hauler has time to drive the tractor and wagon all the way back to the yard? Why is grain just dumped onto a warehouse floor instead of into a bin? Does it need extra drying?
I will try to answer as best I can, I have visited Germany a few times but I am not familiar with that operation so I can only speculate.

A lot of the time grass crops are so heavy (theirs was utterly pants and very light mind in that video) that it needs to be spread out to dry properly. We often cut grass into swaths and then rake them into a single big one for the forager to pick up.

Yes, a lot of the time the distances involved with hauling product is short so it makes sense to use tractors and trailers. Also, in a wet year taking a truck off road would be a serious headache.

We do have silo stores and floor stores across Europe. It depends on the farm in question. Floor stores give you flexibility to store a lot of smaller quantities and different varieties etc, and also the store can be used to store seed or fertiliser if you want to. Often grain will be cleaned and dried before being put into long term storage, I would guess that the predominance of silos in your part of the world is because you can harvest dry grain far more often than we can here.

Regarding the stripping and straw cutting later, this will be done where they want the straw for thatching. Rather than put the straw through an actual combine, where it is invariably bent and smashed to heck, they just cut it and bundle it separately.

I have seen stripper headers working where they leave the straw stood and just drill into it, and I suspect I might know of the farm where they are doing it in that video. I would like a customer of mine to try it but the straw here is worth 25-40 an acre so it is commonly sold to livestock farmers.

A lot of the crop in that previous video of mine was grown for biogas, the economics and energy efficiency of this I can only guess at. It is certainly a huge business across most of Europe, in Eastern Europe, almost every farm has one.

SWMan likes this.

Farming- the closest a man can get to doing Gods own work on earth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Mayoollie
I just stumbled on a slightly earlier video made by the same company on youtube:

Farming- the closest a man can get to doing Gods own work on earth
post #73 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2617 Post(s)
Good one to get everybody pumped up for harvest!

Notice they only put the best combines in this video but use a different brand to "market" their video. Rather odd but a very cool video nonetheless, enjoy!

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 78 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
post #75 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 01:01 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I guess I'll throw our harvest video in here too... not as flashy as some but the amount of mud makes up for it
chance2 likes this.

"Though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vine. Though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren. Though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns lie empty. Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in the God of my salvation." Habakkuk 3:17-18
post #76 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
post #77 of 78 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

These are some of my Videos.
adsinaus likes this.
post #78 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page