Has anyone ever won a dispute with viterra over malt barley? - Page 5 - The Combine Forum
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
I remember hearing a story of a guy who's barley got bought as feed. Six months later he gets a package in the mail, the wallet he'd lost during harvest the previous year. The return address was a malting company.

X80 and Transaxial like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Well im glad we had this chat ... but im coming to the conclusion that no one has every come out on top when fighting over malt barley ....sounds like you either win or you lose... if you lose eat your **** sandwich and move on .

kevlar likes this.
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
We hauled Malt to Richardson. Our Malt Barley went out in car lots not mixed, the maltster rejected the cars and sold them for feed. Richardson had samples of the submitted barley, and the barley we delivered. A rep from Richardson came to the farm and took samples of the Barley left in the bins as well. All the samples were the same, Richardson went to battle with the maltster and won!!

We got paid malt price!!
STR1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMARK View Post
We hauled Malt to Richardson. Our Malt Barley went out in car lots not mixed, the maltster rejected the cars and sold them for feed. Richardson had samples of the submitted barley, and the barley we delivered. A rep from Richardson came to the farm and took samples of the Barley left in the bins as well. All the samples were the same, Richardson went to battle with the maltster and won!!

We got paid malt price!!
Holy Christ!!!! Mark that one on the wall!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!! lol
X80 likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Dispute your grain grade
If you (or someone delivering grain on your behalf) disagree with a licensed primary elevator’s assessment of your grain’s grade and dockage, you have the right to dispute the assessment. You can do so by asking that a representative sample of your grain be sent to the Canadian Grain Commission. The grade and dockage will be assessed by a Canadian Grain Commission inspector. Payment for your grain will be subject to the inspector’s grade and dockage.

When you (or someone delivering grain on your behalf) deliver grain to a licensed primary elevator, the elevator operator must take a sample of your grain. The operator will use the sample to assess grade and dockage for your grain. You have the right to ask to observe the operator’s assessment.

Cut and pasted from the CGC web site
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Used to grow malting barley. Got skinned on the cleanout, as everything was received over a big cleaner. So take the screenings home. Never dumped the screenings out, and had the same screenings from last load as first.
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

They never told me that there was anything wrong with my barley until after they had mixed it and shipped it ... so its hard to dispute the grain grade when you drop off the product and they dont tell you that the germination is bad until after they have sold it. The barley left viterra the week of the 20th of oct... I got the re germ results on the 10 of nov..... my feed barley was on there malt train ...
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
I don't think I would be quiet about it. Don't go in swinging, but let them know you aren't going to just go away. Keep working up the chain of command and get in touch with the CGC. Let them know that you will also go public if need be, and it's not slander if it's true. I wouldn't give up, it's winter time, not like the busiest time of year for most farmers, make some phone calls.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

I have made a lot of phone calls to the cgc have talked to the alberta barley commisson no one seems to be willing to help ..... even talked to a agrologist from th alberta government ... he told me that if you have good vigor 80% plus your germination cant fall off unless it heated or bugs ect... but cant help cause his boss says not aloud...
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockydirtfarmer View Post
I have made a lot of phone calls to the cgc have talked to the alberta barley commisson no one seems to be willing to help ..... even talked to a agrologist from th alberta government ... he told me that if you have good vigor 80% plus your germination cant fall off unless it heated or bugs ect... but cant help cause his boss says not aloud...
I can't imagine your frustration. I wish I could be some REAL help rather than just moral support. I've never experienced this particular situation but it was this direction that the industry took since the loss of the farmer owned co-op's that caused me to leave after 25 years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page