3Likes
  • 1 Post By Beerwiser
  • 2 Post By kevlar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Guy

I’m an agronomist slowly turning into a hemp farmer. Definitely a social climber! I don’t currently own a combine, but want to add one to my operation. My main interests in joining this group are to learn more about the tech of harvesting and how it can be adapted to industrial hemp. What I think I can bring to the table is 33 years as a consultant/ agronomist in potato & row crops, and now industrial hemp. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome,

Look forward to also learning more about your growing and marketing of hemp.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Welcome. What is the goal of hemp? Seed or just the stalks or both? I know nothing about it and only have seen one field of it about 20 years ago. Does not look like much fun to harvest. Looks like a person needs a corn header to knock it down and then bale it. There is a company near me looking at putting in 10k ac worth of it in. They are looking for local guys to do all the work so this has peaked my interest.
adsinaus likes this.

You get what you put in and people get what the deserve. - Kid Rock

The more seriously you take things, the harder the rules become.

If it is broken, fix it. If it isn't broken, I'll soon fix that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Be interested to hear what the Canadian guys have to say about prices, now that US is/has been entering the market. I’ve heard rumors of large inventories and poor prices.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by morb1lee View Post
Be interested to hear what the Canadian guys have to say about prices, now that US is/has been entering the market. Iíve heard rumors of large inventories and poor prices.

After growing the stuff since it became legal here I can confidently say I will never have another acre of that stuff on my farm ever again. I've had enough of the production issues and more so how the contracting companies are screwing the producers now.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
If it's seed production, I've just heard horror stories. But my understanding is that you want a single rotor machine like a Case. Then I've heard to check the combine often if the stuff starts to wrap it will start on fire.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Better off growing the real stuff, forget about that imitation crap!
Border Farmer and apm like this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner11 View Post
After growing the stuff since it became legal here I can confidently say I will never have another acre of that stuff on my farm ever again. I've had enough of the production issues and more so how the contracting companies are screwing the producers now.
Iíve heard the same. I looked into it hard 3 years ago. Most are trying to be a grower/processor, struggle to gain volume sales, canít take delivery/pay/only will use their own production, use only their seed, etc. I called a Canadian hemp company thinking I would truck it across the boarder... nope. They wanted 10,000 acre contracts and wouldnít give me a price. Told me to be their salesman and after I found enough farmers to commit to a total of 10,000 acres then they would let me know prices. Had also called the state usda office trying to connect with growers. Werenít many then and most grew <5 acres to say they were the first. Asked the usda about seed and being a distributor for hemp seed, nope. Only people they personally knew would be allowed...? Needless to say I didnít grow any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page