Grain dryer versus aeration drying - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
X80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Grain dryer versus aeration drying

At the end of 2016 I will be able to buy a grain dryer or drying kits for silos, I am new to this area and wondering what is best? I was leaning towards aeration kits but I'm in a cool coastal climate...harvest days are limited if wanting to get it off at 12.5% moisture.

So do I buy a dryer and basic silos or silos with aeration/ drying kits.

Things to consider
1. I am a one man band...could dry in mornings however and harvest in after noons and if I had dedicated dryer could dry on rainy days etc??
2. Cool climate 20 degrees c days the norm....can be a touch humid...I thought with dryer silos I could take advantage of the total fire ban days when it's 40 degrees c ??
3. Crops, wheat, barley, faba beans, canola, peas, lupins.
4. Cost? I may be better to spend a bit on dryer, might pick up contract work for the other odd grain grower here?
5. Moisture...most crops I would have at 13-14%...if I try corn down the track it maybe at 20%...or if a local dairy farmer did I could contract dry....

Not sure what else to consider? A grain dryer with a seed cleaner would be the ducks nuts! As when stripping a touch wet sample can be a bit ordinary in the 7720...hope in a couple of years to upgrade to STS....

Any ideas or feed back much appreciated...

Ant...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hi Ant. Someone with more experience will have a bit better info but in our experience and similar climate aeration drying is tough.

I'd look at an agri dry chassis bin type. We've used one a few times and it's quick and easy to knock a couple percent off with good conditions.

If I remember rightly we had 70t of wheat in a neighbours silo for weeks aerating it on seemingly warm dry days and didn't have much luck. I think we gave up and sold it for cheap feed.

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Probably cheaper to upgrade that header now and strip more in the heat of the day. Drying can chew into your profit pretty quick. But can be handy when you get a fortnight of rubbish weather I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
X80

Cheers Will, this year I battled to have any weather to harvest in and seems to get to 13.5-14.0 and then no dryer...because I'm buying with my super fund it kind of has to be a fixed asset...

I've been looking at the agridry site...I will chase up some others...

I figure If I can at least dry it can go into a truck and be sold...maybe 1 dryer and 1 59 tonne silo, then add some more the following year...I'd like to get 400 tonne...at current production rates I will have 300 tonne to rent out!! ...but I hope to change that...

Ant...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
X80

Any nth Americans use heaters in the duct of fans? How does it work...

Ant..
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Have used the heaters(propane, but could be nat gas if were more serious) in small(5000b) bins and they work(believe Grain guard is name that have, but there others). Just a bit finicky sometimes with lighting - think this due to static pressure changes - such that you almost better just to get lit and leave it that way.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We have aeration in almost every bin (silo) up here, as do most farmers. Exception from you is, we are in the middle of the Canadian prairies which has vastly different, post harvest, weather than your area. We usually have plenty of warm, low humidity days to get tough grain down to good condition and relatively dry, cool nights to bring any hot grain down in temp. As well we have brutally cold winters to freeze down the grain.

We turn our fans on as soon as the bins are being filled and if the grain is tough we run them continuously until the moisture front has passed up through the bin and the top of the bin is dry. If the grain is dry but hot, we will run the fan for a few cool nights and then monitor the temp at the tops every couple weeks to make sure it doesn't start rising again.

The great part of aeration is if the bin starts showing signs of change, you can flip the switch on and recondition it.

I also have a dryer that gets used very seldom but is nice to have as an emergency back-up when we have a later harvest. We have used auxiliary propane heaters, in-line with our fans and they do work but we don't have them anymore. The heater and fan technology is destined to become quite sophisticated in the next few years, or some self monitoring systems may be around already.

Since you are new to this area, here are a few articles i found that you can read thru:

http://iharf.ca/wp-content/uploads/2...ain-Drying.pdf

http://www.agcanada.com/wp-content/u...3/FS140317.pdf

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4509
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
X80

Thanks IXL, my climate is pretty different, I'm on the coast, we get relative low humidity but somedays can creep up, also do get the odd run of 25-30 degrees c days after harvest, however if I wish to do corn in the future that is a different story.

Cheers...
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
X80

On page 13 from the agcanada link, the add for western tractor, the John deere combine has the unload auger on the RH side of combine.....??

Ant...
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by X80 View Post
On page 13 from the agcanada link, the add for western tractor, the John deere combine has the unload auger on the RH side of combine.....??

Ant...
Probably just printed the negative in reverse.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page