Cannot get Canola delivered - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 01:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Barn
We're waiting to haul our feb canola to LD maby in the next couple weeks is the story since feb.
In our area they take the oldest contracts first it seems. So the spot ones would be the last to get delivered using that logic.

1967 Case 930 Comfort King with spin on filters and square fenders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodtime View Post
Once more of the crushers started setting up shop that was the end of hauling canola to the elevator for me. They are usually pretty good with delivery times and WAY EASIER ON DOCKAGE!!!!
No reason to have difference in dockage. I stand there and make sure they do it accurately and it is the same at all places. If I'm not there when grain is delivered I have them redo and watch, when I pick up my check. It is my right and my money.

lurker18 and Oliver 88 like this.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
We're waiting to haul our feb canola to LD maby in the next couple weeks is the story since feb.
In our area they take the oldest contracts first it seems. So the spot ones would be the last to get delivered using that logic.

I question if the oldest contracts are taken first as I have heard of a guy shipping on a may contract last week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoebis View Post
No reason to have difference in dockage. I stand there and make sure they do it accurately and it is the same at all places. If I'm not there when grain is delivered I have them redo and watch, when I pick up my check. It is my right and my money.
This is a common thought by the farmer that one place is harder on dockage than the next. Really that is your fault by not knowing the procedure and being able to call them out if there are mistakes or downright theft taking place. Sure in a perfect world this would never happen, but come on, we all know it does. By simply educating yourself to the 3 to 6 crops that you handle, you can save yourself a lot of grief in this area. The CGC grading guide spells out VERY clearly the dockage procedures for all the crops grown. It can be found on line, and I know everyone here has access to the internet. 10 minutes of reading could save you all a lot of money and headaches when it comes to "they are doing it wrong" comments. But be warned, if you are going to accuse them of not doing it right, be prepared for them to do it 100% by the book. I know when I was in the elevator system, we did not do a handpick on canola very often, and I'm sure there were some deliveries that should have been downgraded for inseparable seeds. Would you rather have the extra 0.5% dockage or take the #3 grade for the inseparable seeds?
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 09:04 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker18 View Post
But be warned, if you are going to accuse them of not doing it right, be prepared for them to do it 100% by the book.
That is an excellent point.
The "What's good for the goose is good for the grander" clause.

Hey, my dockage is 0.5% high!
What do you mean you won't buy my 16% moisture wheat as dry?
Ah, have your cake and eating it too are we?
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:37 AM

But be warned, if you are going to accuse them of not doing it right, be prepared for them to do it 100% by the book.

I am not accusing them of anything. I just feel it is good business to know what is in my dock and what/how it was assessed.
When I cash a check at bank or buy something at the store I watch to see that they give me the correct change or count money accurately.

I have had canola re assessed and there was a mistake that would have cost me $970.75 on 47 tonne. The elev was very thankful that I had him redo it and so was I.
I would rather make my deals in the merchants office and know what is going on than have mistakes on the grading bench and 'not know' what it is costing me.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
I question if the oldest contracts are taken first as I have heard of a guy shipping on a may contract last week.[/QUOTE]

That guy might still be paying on last years input bill to the grain company. The "Cargill farmers" around me get to haul constantly but Cargill has them on both ends.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoebis View Post

I am not accusing them of anything. I just feel it is good business to know what is in my dock and what/how it was assessed.
When I cash a check at bank or buy something at the store I watch to see that they give me the correct change or count money accurately.

I have had canola re assessed and there was a mistake that would have cost me $970.75 on 47 tonne. The elev was very thankful that I had him redo it and so was I.
I would rather make my deals in the merchants office and know what is going on than have mistakes on the grading bench and 'not know' what it is costing me.
Accuse was probably a strong word to use. Going back to the elevator days, I remember one farmer questioning us on canola grades, he thought we were being too hard on the green count, just into a 2 CAN. He came in the next delivery with a case of yellow shaded safety glasses and told us to put them on and grade it again. So we all did, went by the book and called the canola Sample Account Admixture. Funny how fast he backpedaled on that. Happy to take the 2 CAN after that.

I am all for having producers know what should be done, after all it is your careers on the line.
This year, I have seen more heated grain than I have for the past 10 years combined. Factors of a large carryover from 2 harvests ago plus the bad harvest conditions this year caused a lot of this. I do feel for the guys that loose grain, but then I ask them if that was a suitcase of $25,000 sitting in the middle of the floor in the grain bin, they would be checking on it every day. But a bin full of $25,000 worth of grain is supposed to take care of itself, how does that make sense?
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 11:14 AM

Lurker18, Back in your elevator days, What certified training were you offered by grain company or industry? How did you learn proper grading and procedures?

Both the elevator,the farmer and to some degree the industry relies on your assessments for accuracy.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 01:34 PM

As of right now, there are no certified training courses. Really there are no certified inspectors anywhere, the Canadian system does not have anything set up like this. The CGC has tests that an employee needs to pass to become an inspector, and further more difficult tests to be a fully fledged inspector, able to grade export. The elevator system as well as the 3rd parties (SGS, Intertek, etc) all using their own internal training. Usually the upper few in the training departments are ex CGC or could easily walk into the CGC and get jobs. The expertise of the staff is entirely based on the quality of the trainers. 99.9% of the time, an "underachiever" will wash themselves out of a position, especially in years like we just had, they will be caught out on not being able to handle the grading challenges. There are a few that can slip by of course, and when there are several years of easy to grade harvests, some people may slip by for a long time.

As for how did I learn, it is 100% on the job experience. Learn by doing, being shown what to look for, developing the skills needed. Honestly, the people that are good at it will pick up most things very fast. Those that struggle with grading never seem to get it, for whatever reason they just can't see things and it seems like no matter how many times they are shown, it doesn't stick.

The problem with alot of mistakes that are made when a sample is being graded is not always the fact that the person is not trained, it is sometimes being rushed, not easy to do a thorough job when there are 3 miles of trucks lined up and everyone yelling at you to go faster. Another big factor in mistakes is improper procedures. Just the way grain sits on the bench will allow you to see or hide grading factors. Often mistakes are just pure not knowing or laziness.

Last edited by lurker18; 04-10-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page