Why no intercropping? - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
We are separating the peas and canola that we grew together right now.

We grew them together because of a chemical carry over. We put down edge on oats stubble and seeded lentils. We had to spray the oats out in crop as usual the edge didn't work. The edge has a cereal crop restriction so that ruled out wheat, spraying the lentils incrop meant we had to stay with the clearfield system.

We broadcast 300 lbs of sulfur with liquid Rivel , the only weed control except for the carry over. We seeded peas at 3 bushels per acre, on 12" spacing 2 1/2" deap. The canola at 4 lbs per acre 3/4" deep on 8" spacing. Liquid inocculent on the peas. 200 lbs of 46 0 0 with esn 30 lbs of phosphate with the canola.

60%canola with 7% dockage, 40% peas with 1/2% splits and 1/2% dockage.

total crop went 60 bushels to the acre, good considering we had no appreciatable rain during the growing season.

torriem likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:47 PM
TheCombineForum Forum Sponsor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndag View Post
Conventional combine would be too hard on the chickpeas or too hard to separate them together?
Holy 'Blast-From-The-Past' Batman!

I think I was almost on page 3 by the time I read the date. Seems you dredged up a pretty old post.

That being said, I wonder if the quantity of guys doing intercropping has increased? Seems to be more info on it available, but I am not sure if it's become a lot more common over the last few years.

Better Engineered Sprayer Parts for Over 35 Years
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
I have done the sweet clover and legume interseeding with grain as a green manure source. Are there any herbicide options for controlling the grass growth (smooth brome around here) without harming the legumes, or grain (oat, wheat). MCPA maybe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
I’ve watched the neighbor underseed every acre with sweet clover for the last few years, it’s worked well for him.

I have plans for every acre to be intercropped. Peas/mustard/clover, peas/oats/clover, durum/flax/clover, wheat/?/clover, oats/chickling Vetch, after that I get into the weird stuff. I’m looking forward to everything but the separating, luckily a friend has a big portable cleaner, and another one is being put together in the neighborhood.
radar likes this.
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 10:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Farmer View Post
I have done the sweet clover and legume interseeding with grain as a green manure source. Are there any herbicide options for controlling the grass growth (smooth brome around here) without harming the legumes, or grain (oat, wheat). MCPA maybe?
None that I know of, New Farmer, but the theory goes that if you get a good establishment of the two crops, there will naturally be less weed pressure. In reality?
Quote:
Originally Posted by YHMARK View Post
We put down edge on oats stubble and seeded lentils. We had to spray the oats out in crop as usual the edge didn't work.
I was just looking at the Top Crop herbicide chart the other day and noticed that Edge really only claims to have suppression on wheat and tame oats. It's only Wild Oats and certain grasses they claim to have any control over. That was news to me, but it makes sense. I don't expect edge to control volunteer wheat anymore than it controlled your volunteer oats. I still use it, though, because some suppression is still good, and my biggest concern is group 2 resistant wild oats.
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
How do you guys manage crop rotation or is the idea that there is enough diversity built into the system that short rotations are less of a concern
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Really want to get into Chickpea/Flax but havent been able to get Chickpea seed, well maybe next year.
Other issue is How to Seed , as i have atom jet sideband boots. (seed and fert are side by side on Same plane- Not one Deeper than other)

When I do get chickpea seed I am Thinking maybe seeding chickpeas and sideband fert and then go in After and valmar and harrows for Flax???

Any thoughts on getting the flax seed in the ground without changing seed boots ??
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Have intercropped wheat and flax for quite a few years. Works great and we always straight cut it. Need a good knife as the straw sometimes is green. Always put air through it after harvest. The big issue is wheat chips in the flax. Gluten in the flax can be an issue. Sometimes cleaning by size alone doesn't get the wheat chips out. Something to watch for.

Peas and oats work great as well but same thing. Oat buyers may not want pea pieces in the oats. We swathed this combination to force them in together. I always try to find out what the end buyers want before I seed it.

Intercropping always seems to be able to combat weeds well especially a broadleaf and a grass together will usually always get a higher total return. Experiment with small acres to start. We can sometimes find buyers who will buy them together and pay top dollar for both. That's ultimately a great option as separating is a pain on big volumes.

We have done clover with wheat as well and if you can kill the clover the next year this will always return lots of N and will see a big protein spike the year after the plow down but clover is hard to kill. Found a one-way disk is good if the ground is mellow but it is usually dry after clover. It sucks all the moisture so hope for lots of rain after or the following crop will suffer yield.

Good luck I think it is a worthwhile effort.
Hillbillyreefer likes this.
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Wheat and flax together seems like a good idea.
What cleaner separates the two the best?
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2343 Post(s)
Does intercropping produce more grain then a properly grown monocrop considering the hassle of handling?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page