Farmers Edge - Page 12 - The Combine Forum
 86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 112 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2677 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
Again sometimes the simplest things are the solution. The secrets to cutting input use is not having to be so dependent on huge crops and the risk that comes with that. Other ways to cut fert. Cover crops, pulses in rotation.

I had a problem 40 acres a few yrs ago. Tried every combination of crop rotation on it and it always underperformed. Well one yr it got really wet and I had to dry it up so we deep tilled it and its like a whole new field. Ran off 55 bu canola last yr. I have dozens of similar spots who got deep tillage after some wet yrs and they got new life.
I appreciate your concern but in the last few years I have expanded to about 7 different crops in a year with somewhere around 15 different crops grown in the past 5 years.
So I get rotation but I still run into crops that require some fertilizer and expensive seed.
I have some ground that will be going into corn next year that has 7 profiles that have different seed and fertilizer requirements.
Just the seed cost alone on that particular 3 qtr piece will pay for the program.
I have made way too many mistakes trying to adjust as I go but have seen the benefits of doing it when I'm not screwing up. Not to mention how much less stress it will be

dirtfarmer1000 likes this.

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 112 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfarmer1000 View Post
you can get the same image, but you cant get the crop health, they have their own satellites, hundreds I believe, that are about the size of a basketball? That they get their data from. They only cost them a 100 thousand to get up in orbit. At least that was my understanding from the sales rep.
I would ask the rep about that one again. Geosynchronous satellites generally cost in the neighbourhood of $30,000/kg to get into orbit. Low earth orbit satellites can be as little as $3000/kg but they are not the best platform for this kind of work (they move at 28,000km/h). FE are most likely piggybacking on someone else's feed. There is a company that images the entire planet every day, maybe they use their imaging? I don't doubt a rep told you that, I am doubting the rep.

Last edited by lander2; 04-15-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page