Farmers Edge - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 86Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
If Data collection is your main interest Climate Field View costs a lot less..... not sure if I buy the "we don't use your data" line or not.... but definitely interesting looking system if it works.

planning to try it this year.

have heard that its hard to keep I Pads running in tractor all day (apparently they are using more power than charger is providing?) - any truth to that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orsy060 View Post
We dropped them like a hot potato, and couldn't be happier with our new company.
You got me in suspense.... who is the new company... if you dont mind me asking??

bjtjjl and FarmerDave73 like this.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2815 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradw2 View Post
If Data collection is your main interest Climate Field View costs a lot less..... not sure if I buy the "we don't use your data" line or not.... but definitely interesting looking system if it works.

planning to try it this year.

have heard that its hard to keep I Pads running in tractor all day (apparently they are using more power than charger is providing?) - any truth to that?
Pretty sure FE says they aren't sharing data but they are in fact selling it to third parties. I would be surprised if the others are much different.

We had a terrible time keeping an ipad running last fall for use with Agrimatics, ended up mostly using cell phones. If it is electronic it will cause problems guaranteed...

Money spent on this stuff is usually better spent on actual inputs. Having said that, I am trying so VR corn planting this year with Decisive Farming. I can imagine a benefit there. I think a guy with a satellite shot and a knowledge of the field in question could make zone maps as good as half these guys.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
have heard that its hard to keep I Pads running in tractor all day (apparently they are using more power than charger is providing?) - any truth to that?[/QUOTE]

Have an ipad running Libra cart in the grain cart. Added an inverter to use the 120 volt charger and you still lose battery power through the day. Dimming the screen brightness down balances it out to even.
post #15 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 1175 Post(s)
You just have to get a high amp charger that say's it's suitable for Ipad's. Used them all fall in the tractor's and charging wasn't a problem.
stockton and jcalder like this.
post #16 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
X2 We used a faster charger this year with Libra cart and usually was charged right up at the end of day , year before we had some days that we lost connection because of low power.
post #17 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post

Money spent on this stuff is usually better spent on actual inputs. Having said that, I am trying so VR corn planting this year with Decisive Farming. I can imagine a benefit there. I think a guy with a satellite shot and a knowledge of the field in question could make zone maps as good as half these guys.

totally agree - I had prescriptions done up for a few canola fields in 17, and not only did the VR make my maturity more uneven the flat rated fields out yielded by a bu / ac! totally takes over your GPS system and in one case left the drill sitting in the field not putting out a pound . was pulling out what little hair was left! the one field was the best producing, flat as a pancake field I have and the N rate was constantly changing - I think just for the heck of it! totally over thought in my mind, could likely do a way more efficient job yourself with larger zones based on topography and known problem areas.....

just to show how "wrong" those maps (or the guys reading them) can be, the first time I had the "sell", the rep looked at a satellite map and said "look at the off the chart vegetation there! that's where we will put all your nitrogen!" to which I said "that's the bottom of a 3/4 mile long slope. It's sub irrigated, lots of biomass but always lodges and never matures, we usually have to bale the crop seeded there most years. still want to put on 150 lbs?"
RunninREDharD and SWMan like this.
post #18 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnviL View Post
Quote:
We dropped them like a hot potato, and couldn't be happier with our new company.
You got me in suspense.... who is the new company... if you dont mind me asking??
The new company is CropPro.

Better maps, better prescriptions, 2 people help on my farm, an agronomist and a tech guy. They do all the soil sampling. 4 in field checks per year.
jcalder likes this.
post #19 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Farmers Edge is a waste of money. We fell for their fancy marketing and ran away from them as fast as possible for all the same reasons Orsy mentioned.

If you can't keep your ipad power on in a tractor all day you have the wrong charger. We have been using Agrimatics for a few years now and the charger we have will bring the ipad to 100% then we can unplug it and top up our phones.
scottyheps likes this.
post #20 of 112 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2456 Post(s)
Quote:
The new company is CropPro.

Better maps, better prescriptions, 2 people help on my farm, an agronomist and a tech guy. They do all the soil sampling. 4 in field checks per year.

What does this cost per acre?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page