biosul - maybe it works - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Elemental sulfur, long term accepted and cost effective good practice for sulfur.

But what's with the bio part? All the bacteria required are in the soil already. What's the 'claim'? Do they have peer reviewed trials of said 'claim'?

By the original title, maybe it works, shouldn't you be quite sceptical of this?

The product contains grocery store waste with an element S analysis of 70%. What's the other 30?

What's the actual cost of say Tiger 90 per kg of actual S vs Biosul cost per kg of actual S?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
I guess you could argue that you are adding top soil to your land spreading this as well even though such a small amount. It definitely got my interest as building soil microbes and bacteria is a win win regardless. People now are starting to realize the importance of soil health more and more in their operation.

post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2715 Post(s)
I am doing every acre, price is same as Tiger 90 which I have been using for 15 years or so. I am paying them to custom apply it but I have a lot going on this fall and am not sure I have time to handle all that Tiger 90 myself. I am not counting on anything out of the compost part of it because right now I can't be sure if it actually does anything except add topsoil like dookiller noted.

To me doing a big shot at once gives me peace of mind that I don't have to worry about S for a few years. Big crops needs lots of S and we have been taking big crops off for awhile now. To me bulk applying nutrients at the cheapest cost per unit is better than spoon feeding crops every year. I own all my land so these decisions become a longer term investment too.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I am doing every acre, price is same as Tiger 90 which I have been using for 15 years or so. I am paying them to custom apply it but I have a lot going on this fall and am not sure I have time to handle all that Tiger 90 myself. I am not counting on anything out of the compost part of it because right now I can't be sure if it actually does anything except add topsoil like dookiller noted.

To me doing a big shot at once gives me peace of mind that I don't have to worry about S for a few years. Big crops needs lots of S and we have been taking big crops off for awhile now. To me bulk applying nutrients at the cheapest cost per unit is better than spoon feeding crops every year. I own all my land so these decisions become a longer term investment too.
Yes, elemental is cost effective good way. Check, agree!

A tonne of biosul costs the same as Tiger 90, One at 70 percent, one at 90 isn't the same price for the actual Sulfur. You can also get Tiger custom spread, and cheaper. Down on two counts?

What is the bio claim and what is its analysis? Why not just keep using pure elemental S?
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Yes, elemental is cost effective good way. Check, agree!

A tonne of biosul costs the same as Tiger 90, One at 70 percent, one at 90 isn't the same price for the actual Sulfur. You can also get Tiger custom spread, and cheaper. Down on two counts?

What is the bio claim and what is its analysis? Why not just keep using pure elemental S?
It is same cost per # of S at 70% analysis. Apparently loads can come in at higher % because product is a bit variable but they guarantee 70%. Tiger 90 is actually a penny more expensive but for the purposes of this discussion it's a wash. Custom app cost is very similar, I might be getting a bit of a discount because of wide open fields/mile runs/etc. I could put the Tiger 90 through the seeder tank at the same time as the urea and phos but that would require another truck in the field and I would rather get my grain to market. Paying for custom app here for me is realizing I don't have the time to do every job on the farm...

I just give these guys the legals and they deliver it with live-bottom trailer sand convey it into the floater and do the spreading. I don't have to help at all. Hopefully that explains my reasoning. If I rented land and the lease was shorter term I may feel different about it. Otherwise I think it is a good plan with some upside based on the biological stuff, which I will not even attempt to explain because I don't understand it.

Orlando A. Battista
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
It is same cost per # of S at 70% analysis. Apparently loads can come in at higher % because product is a bit variable but they guarantee 70%. Tiger 90 is actually a penny more expensive but for the purposes of this discussion it's a wash. Custom app cost is very similar, I might be getting a bit of a discount because of wide open fields/mile runs/etc. I could put the Tiger 90 through the seeder tank at the same time as the urea and phos but that would require another truck in the field and I would rather get my grain to market. Paying for custom app here for me is realizing I don't have the time to do every job on the farm...

I just give these guys the legals and they deliver it with live-bottom trailer sand convey it into the floater and do the spreading. I don't have to help at all. Hopefully that explains my reasoning. If I rented land and the lease was shorter term I may feel different about it. Otherwise I think it is a good plan with some upside based on the biological stuff, which I will not even attempt to explain because I don't understand it.
So the company is collecting grocery store food, creating compost, adding 70% sulfur at the same price as i buy just sulfur? You are getting the compost for free? Or is the compost charge on top of that, and what is it?

Hopefully my questions won't piss you off, but just trying to understand what it actually costs and what the actual benefit of the bio part is.
SWFarmService likes this.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
I have not used it but I think the compost part is the carrier. What is the carrier for 46%? Its more something else than it is nitrogen but it shouldnt concern a person.

I think the question is how would it compare to flog on 5 years worth of tiger 90 at once?

Maybe the idea with the irregular sizes of biosul is that it takes years for bigger chunks to become available.

Will guys become nervous at year 4 and apply some more sulpher just to be sure or go the full 5 years?
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:54 PM

OMG the Agricoaches are behind it. Nuff said.
scotsburn likes this.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
So the company is collecting grocery store food, creating compost, adding 70% sulfur at the same price as i buy just sulfur? You are getting the compost for free? Or is the compost charge on top of that, and what is it?

Hopefully my questions won't piss you off, but just trying to understand what it actually costs and what the actual benefit of the bio part is.
You are correct with your analysis. It should come as no surprise that the compost would be "free". All this stuff is by-products and waste, they are making money selling it as a farm input for sure. Remember when Tiger 90 cost less than half of what it does now?

If you look at the product it looks like sand colored soil with chunks of sulfur mixed in. The larger chunks of sulfur may help it to break down later in the 5 year timeframe, not sure? Putting Tiger 90 on in 5 year increments with the smaller more uniform size may make it available sooner and prone to leaching/movement in the soil? Again this is just speculation on my part.

I'm not trying to sell this to anybody. I booked and put a deposit down in June and the Biosul goes up 5% in price per month after that, so my budget already is obsolete. And I agree having Agri-coaches behind it doesn't mean it works...ha ha

Orlando A. Battista
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 01:02 PM

What does a tonne of Biosul FOB Farm cost?

Edit: And what does a tonne of tiger or 0-85 FOB on your farm cost?

0-85 runs about 770$ a tonne here.

Or maybe a bunch of us should get together and just buy from suncor at 99% pure http://www.suncor.com/about-us/suppl...rading/sulphur

Last edited by BrianTee; 07-01-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page