biosul - maybe it works - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
OMG the Agricoaches are behind it. Nuff said.
Ok - I am not an agricoach, nor employ one either. I have told you what it costs; have posted the analysis that I got from a sample that was being spread and worked back the actual nutrients basis the floated on rate, my reasons for doing it(as mentioned earlier there is issue with sulphur analysis as with any other lab analysis). I am a very skeptical person, but have to say that your skepticism does border on bit of a "piss off" - Happy Canada Day!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
What does a tonne of Biosul FOB Farm cost?

Edit: And what does a tonne of tiger or 0-85 FOB on your farm cost?

0-85 runs about 770$ a tonne here.

Or maybe a bunch of us should get together and just buy from suncor at 99% pure Sulphur ? About Us ? Suncor

link to cost analysis from BioSul website

http://aberhartagsolutions.ca/wp-con...Comparison.pdf

If better is possible, is good enough?
You get to choose.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazil08 View Post
Ok - I am not an agricoach, nor employ one either. I have told you what it costs; have posted the analysis that I got from a sample that was being spread and worked back the actual nutrients basis the floated on rate, my reasons for doing it(as mentioned earlier there is issue with sulphur analysis as with any other lab analysis). I am a very skeptical person, but have to say that your skepticism does border on bit of a "piss off" - Happy Canada Day!
Hopes are dashed, I've pissed you off. Sorry dude. I'll contact them directly next week and post what I find out.

BTW, in the video Elston is unsure if it will even work out to release gradually.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I talked to john heard about it and said he would want to see incubation release tests before he tried it. I requested them but never received them. His fear is the larger pieces would take hundreds of years to break down. It probably works but it just didn't have a fit with our nutrient plan going forwards anyways. I know Dan aberheart quite well and he is a good guy, I don't think he would sell something he didn't believe works to anyone.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2848 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmermb View Post
I talked to john heard about it and said he would want to see incubation release tests before he tried it. I requested them but never received them. His fear is the larger pieces would take hundreds of years to break down. It probably works but it just didn't have a fit with our nutrient plan going forwards anyways. I know Dan aberheart quite well and he is a good guy, I don't think he would sell something he didn't believe works to anyone.
Interesting. I have also been told that once you have been using elemental for awhile the levels of microbes or bacteria or whatever it is that breaks this stuff into usable form will be higher and conversion will be quicker. I would think even by mechanical means it would be broken down in a decade, the hundred years thing seems a bit far-fetched to me. I suppose if leaving a bunch of 18 cent sulfur in the soil for my grandkids is the worst management decision I make I will have to be content with that.
chance2 likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
http://www.usask.ca/soilsncrops/conf...06docs/041.pdf

Elemental didn't match the ammonium sulfate 2 years out. Third year the lucky charm?

That's a tough train to get on. Front 5 years of S while supplementing the first 2?
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Well that was somewhat of a waste of time. Surface applying S on defecient soils with no history of elemental application and no added N to match the N in the AMS. Not to mention those charts are practically unreadable. This has about zero bearing on me since I have a 15 year history of elemental application and am not deficient. This is a long-term low-cost maintenance program. If I was to rent some land that had been run empty on S levels I would go to the AMS and pay a whole bunch more because I had to, this is entirely different.

Orlando A. Battista
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
So maybe if they continued the study out to 15 years it would show the elemental sulfur treatments yielding as much as the ammonium sulfate?
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
So maybe if they continued the study out to 15 years it would show the elemental sulfur treatments yielding as much as the ammonium sulfate?
Do you think any government extension person or summer student has an attention span that long? I do know you will have saved a pile of money, handled a lot less product and rusted out a lot less equipment.

Orlando A. Battista
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2486 Post(s)
A few discussions over the weekend with fellow plant nerds.

Unknown timeline and availability of sulphate over time with 1 long term application. It is unknown if the larger pieces will ever breakdown. Will half the amount be available and leach out or 10%. No one knows as moisture, soil type, tillage practice, seeding disturbance, product variability all influence availability.

The bioanalysis of the compost is unavailable and at the temp of the compost being made crop diseases such as clubroot will survive. The dirt is coming from AB after all. Anyone buying this product should be absolutely demanding a full analysis from an accredited lab.

For the typical canola wheat rotation you still need to add sulphate form and adding 30 lbs to canola provides the 10 pounds for the wheat the following year in the canola plant matter breakdown. Sulfur needs only then to be added once every 2 years. Biosul or any es in that situation has no practical use.

The amount of es added to a blend is miniscule for a long term rotation in a maintenance program egs 10 to 15 pounds of 150 micron or smaller product. The added cost to apply is negligible. Especially considering that when you grow canola, sulphate must be applied anyway. What are you really trying to save?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page