biosul - maybe it works - The Combine Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
biosul - maybe it works

Not a plant tissue fan or expert, but did some of this because have a few experiments going on with canola this yr. The one thing that really stood out was how high my sulphur was. Had a couple qtrs with biosul applied 2 Falls ago and than had 3 where biosul was applied last Fall. Values ranged from .88% up to 1.32%. As a check took one from neighbors field with std fert package and it was .64%. The lab comments were that very high sulphur could be due to "contamination with spray or dust". Will be interesting to see what this does to yield.

X80 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
S soil tests on calcareous soils are meaningless.

(edit) Re-reading the post I see that the reference is to tissue testing. My comment is still valid even if it is irrelevant

R.J.(Bob) Evans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bobofthenorth; 06-30-2017 at 03:54 PM.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
S soil tests on calcareous soils are meaningless.

(edit) Re-reading the post I see that the reference is to tissue testing. My comment is still valid even if it is irrelevant
Not completely true... If they show high then it is high, anything else is meaningless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2837 Post(s)
Well I hope it works because I booked the whole farm today for fall application. Was gonna do a bunch of elemental sulfur anyways and this was similar price. Maybe there is additional benefit from the compost, not sure. I do know that sulfur is a very important nutrient and I loathe AMS. A good elemental program has been a real benefit here IMO.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:32 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
This is the product where they mix elemental S with compost? The theory makes perfect sense to me, the biology in the compost will be digesting the S in the mixture. Somewhere in there will be biological strains that flourish in a high S environment, so when you spread the product on the field those microbes are going to work in the soil doing the same thing. The other big benefit, is all the secondary metabolites the microbes produce.

I know nothing about this product, I would be curious to see a nutrient analysis verses what is claimed to be in it. Once an element has been through a microbe it gets converted into an organic form and can't be detected by mineral analysis. My guess is that an analysis will show lower than the claim, but the product will perform better than said content of S, due to the fact it is now in a plant available form.

My biggest concern would be if the compost was made properly, so the right population of good microbes was fostered.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Is biosul a liquid or granular product? How much is a person putting on per acre and is it slow release like elemental where it is available for several years after?
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 2837 Post(s)
Yes it is irregular chunks of elemental S with food waste basically. Here is the sales video.

It is in rather wet form so needs special spreading equipment to handle. Mine is getting custom applied.

Putting on about 155#/acre actual S, and it is a minimum 70% analysis.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Whats cost per acre if i may ask
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
There a lot of questions on this stuff, but would say for SW farmer to book complete farm that a pretty bold move - I take sales pitch and videos with a grain of salt. I did 500ish acres 2 years ago that was custom spread at 300lbs/a for $30/a. Did another 1000isha last Fall at same rate and it was little bit more. I did post actual analysis of stuff I pulled last Fall and posted it on a biosul forum. To be clear I am not selling this stuff and/or representing it to be anything, but what I see. Why I did it: stuff was advertised as having 4-5yrs worth of sulfur. I looked at it and thought if I got even 3 yrs worth of sulfur and it custom done it was good value. This was first yr I tested tissue and would say 2yr ago stuff almost as high as stuff on last Fall so should get 3 yrs worth for sure. Other reason I did it is that AMS high usage seemed to be lowering PH in a pretty short period of time. I have not done soil tests since started with this stuff, but will do some this Fall to see if anything there - likely too early. I have never posted pictures here, but may get around to it someday.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Well I hope it works because I booked the whole farm today for fall application. Was gonna do a bunch of elemental sulfur anyways and this was similar price. Maybe there is additional benefit from the compost, not sure. I do know that sulfur is a very important nutrient and I loathe AMS. A good elemental program has been a real benefit here IMO.
So your doing every acre or just canola acres? Are you hoping it lasts more than one year or looking to add every year from now on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page