Land prices still Rising? - Page 15 - The Combine Forum
 91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
https://www.country-guide.ca/guide-b...the-cornfield/

This article brings up some points that scare me worse than any 1-3 year Supply and Demand changes.

torriem likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLCC View Post
https://www.country-guide.ca/guide-b...the-cornfield/

This article brings up some points that scare me worse than any 1-3 year Supply and Demand changes.
Canada has some of the most land locked ag land in the world. Just about every other major area has closer ocean access or major rivers. Central Russia would be comparable but they don't have the rockies to cross. South to the Caspian is very open land.

And many of these areas are building massive infrastructure to support it. What infrastructure have we built?

Like I said, are we the next oil sands relying too heavily in single markets, not investing in new ones and the infrastructure to support it and then we get a rude surprise somewhere down the line.

Someone has to start banging in some real infrastructure to Churchill. 4 season road and rail and a massive pipeline.

https://ipolitics.ca/article/want-to...anitoba-coast/

The wild card in all this is climate change.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg World_Agriculture_1280.jpg (278.8 KB, 17 views)
Border Farmer likes this.

Last edited by jazz; 04-17-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #143 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hihi962 View Post
Problem with this though, many of the "big boys" are more in debt then the little guys, remember, most of these big boys only got big by borrowing on top of borrowing .. how do you possibly think they got there?. How many big boys actually own the 40,000+ acres they farm?

Monette farms now own about 75 000 acres, they just bought 10,000 acres in Montana. They definitely have the debt to go with it too though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmer View Post
Monette farms now own about 75 000 acres, they just bought 10,000 acres in Montana. They definitely have the debt to go with it too though
Yeah just for interest I had a look at one of their titles near me. Nope not investor backed at all like I thought. Bank backed and big time. Checked a few others around me too that have been aggressively expanding past few yrs. Yikes.
post #145 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Do we call 50000 acre a farm tho , in that kind off territory I think your are a puppet or a slave off your own entity. All the glory to him/her.
post #146 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpie View Post
Do we call 50000 acre a farm tho , in that kind off territory I think your are a puppet or a slave off your own entity. All the glory to him/her.
Why would you not call it a farm??? Who cares how much/little someone wants to farm ? Each to their own.

Brent.
post #147 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
Yeah just for interest I had a look at one of their titles near me. Nope not investor backed at all like I thought. Bank backed and big time. Checked a few others around me too that have been aggressively expanding past few yrs. Yikes.
Is the bank on the title? Curious how one would know that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpie View Post
I wouldn't call it a good idea to farm that much but I bet most of us and yourself included would be viewed as ridiculously big if you go back a generation or two...

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #148 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Is the bank on the title? Curious how one would know that?

I wouldn't call it a good idea to farm that much but I bet most of us and yourself included would be viewed as ridiculously big if you go back a generation or two...
In Alberta when you pull a title it shows the creditors and the amount borrowed and the date borrowed as well.
post #149 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alta66 View Post
In Alberta when you pull a title it shows the creditors and the amount borrowed and the date borrowed as well.
Interesting. Might make for some good banter at the coffee shop, although speculation is way more fun. Apparently I just bought a bunch of farmland near Brandon(an hour away by car!) according to the coffee shop....

Is this online or ?

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #150 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alta66 View Post
Interesting. Might make for some good banter at the coffee shop, although speculation is way more fun. Apparently I just bought a bunch of farmland near Brandon(an hour away by car!) according to the coffee shop....[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

Is this online or ?
Go to land titles office with the roll# or legal. Might be able to do it online or phone, bit we have office in town. Pay $15 fee (was that much the last time I did) and they will give you a copy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page