91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Land prices still Rising?

Farmland values rise in Canada

https://static.producer.com/wp-conte...933.1518316162

Last edited by jazz; 04-23-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
I like how it says why the increases have been happening, and the best part is the 2% increase for inputs! Wish my inputs have only gone 2% in the last few years! I never know what to take on FCC's reviews like this, they really seem to like to push land loans even beyond what would be considered a safe level.

On another note, I might be all the nuts bars in my area driving up the Manitoba prices. I don't know where some of these guys can get the finances for this. Some just sold recently for almost double the assessment price. No bank I know of will do that. And am pretty sure these guys are borrowing the money.

Windmillfarms likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Besides that organic land last week through Ritchie Bros, everything I have heard sell this winter have been record prices.

Brent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Was expecting something else when I read the title, well I'm here now and this was the first thing that popped into my mind, guess with all the water running everywhere, I had something more like this in mind lol.

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #5 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Kevlar, I used to think the same thing about land prices until I found out the largest company in the world (Amazon) is largely a break even enterprise.

The land is probably rising for other reasons. Inflation and currency hedge sort of like gold.
post #6 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
Kevlar, I used to think the same thing about land prices until I found out the largest company in the world (Amazon) is largely a break even enterprise.

The land is probably rising for other reasons. Inflation and currency hedge sort of like gold.
Correction- Amazon is largely a money losing enterprise. Along with Uber and all these other tech companies that are backed by massive VC money with the sole goal of gaining a crazy dominant market share. Still donít understand the end game but weíre currently watching it unfold.

Any inquiries-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

And consequently Jeff Bezos is one of the largest private owners of farmland in the US along with Bill Gates and many others. Makes you wonder when the tech gods who are apparently leading us to a new utopia still need and old school asset like land. Something they know that we dont?

I heard a financial type on BNN once say farming is mostly a water transport business.
post #8 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
I like how it says why the increases have been happening, and the best part is the 2% increase for inputs! Wish my inputs have only gone 2% in the last few years! I never know what to take on FCC's reviews like this, they really seem to like to push land loans even beyond what would be considered a safe level.

On another note, I might be all the nuts bars in my area driving up the Manitoba prices. I don't know where some of these guys can get the finances for this. Some just sold recently for almost double the assessment price. No bank I know of will do that. And am pretty sure these guys are borrowing the money.
My inputs are lower this year than most of the last 5 years, probably 10 actually, looks like fuel will be up but fertilizer is lower. What I really notice costing more is all the parts and little things in the store but fertilizer savings should offset that.

The sales I have heard were all high and record by a large margin in some cases. Farming has been good to some lately. A lot of people who owns a lot of their land and has been in the game a while will have no trouble paying these prices. If you own 20 or 30 quarters free and clear you probably have a fair chunk of cash to put down and the rest cash flows easily spread across the rest.

Price of land rarely pencils out to pay for itself, that is not a new phenomenon.
post #9 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Lots of investment outfits buying land in my area. I don't see it stopping
white owl likes this.

Week Men Create Hard Times
post #10 of 167 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 08:19 PM
NVW

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Land prices are just a reflection on what a dollar is really worth. We've been told there is little inflation, BS. It costs triple to heat or power any property I own compared to 10 years ago.

Leo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page