The Combine Forum banner

Viewfield vs Brandon vs go

12K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  joesixpack 
#1 ·
So very last minute decision here, does anyone have any experience with the 3 varieties what they liked and didn't like, I'm located in southern Alberta

Thanks

#2 ·
Have Brandon and Viewfield side by side in same field this year. Go is a nice short variety but too susceptible to fusarium out here in Manitoba. Good yeild and protein from Brandon last year, but loads of straw.

#3 ·
I'd really like to try viewfield but 3$ a bushel more is kind of making me want to lean towards Brandon. I've grown GO for a few years but was just thinking about switching it up, the disease package isn't the greatest on go that's for sure

#5 ·
Have grown Brandon now for two, to day the least I’m beyond impressed. I grow mostly durum but decided to grow some wheat again.
For the past two years it has out yielded my durum .... Alloy. Shorter wheat, and very nice to thresh. Protein can be low due to its high yield potential, haven’t had that issue yet.
Seed guide says “P” for sprouting, with the bad weather this harvest mine graded a 2 with enough sprouts to fall in that category. So more less happy about that.
It’s an amazing variety, and the best wheat I’ve ever grown.
Haven’t grown the other two so can’t comment.
Viewfield and Landmark are the two new high yielding varieties now, but haven’t talked with anyone who has grown them.
For now I will stick with Brandon.
Here’s hoping for some price rally ..... I may stick to durum in 2020 if things don’t turn around.

#6 ·
Had brandon and viewfield for seed on 2 different quarters. Both got hail, but one much less so. Yield on viewfield was 15 bu less then brandon side by side, the viewfield never seemed to recover.
Other field, same height viewfield made 4 bales of silage, brandon 5. Again, the viewfield did not regrow or recover as well, was noticeably greener. Sometimes we can learn more when the crop is stressed then a perfect growing season.

#11 ·
I grow both Brandon and Veiwfeild side by side. This will be my second yr doing so and last. This yr really showed the difference between the 2 varitys and I will be selling all my Brandon in favor of growing strictly Veiwfeild for 2020. Both are excellent yeilders and both have excellent standablity however 290 fn vs 237 fn tells the story. Veiwfeild also thrashes slightly easier. Redberry has caught my eye... any experience on this variety?

Attachments

#15 ·
Redberry has caught my eye... any experience on this variety?
1/3-1/2 of our wheat acres over the last 2 yrs have been Redberry. We've also ran Redberry and Elie side x side trials for the last 2 yrs. Very similar yield & pro. Redberry is a good 3-4" taller than our elie. Redberry is harder thrashing. White caps in the tank, tougher knocking the seeds out of the heads than Elie.

#14 ·
Interesting how every area is different. Have had Go, Brandon and Viewfield side by side in the same field the last 2 years. Go is the earliest, Brandon 4 days later than Go and Viewfield 10 days later than Go. Viewfield the poorest yielder the last 2 years and Brandon the best yield this year and Go the best yield last year.

Rains seem to have missed me the last 2 years in late July/early August and I think that the later maturity of the Viewfield ran into more drought stress. I am done growing the late maturing Viewfield, looking into Landmark for next year.

#16 ·
All Cameron this year , and FN between different fields and different previous crops all over the scale #2 to feed .
Not sure if this year is any indication off what crop is the best.
Best one is low falling number , send it in for germ test and came back 98 germ vigor 90 .
Not sure what elevators are smoking ........

#19 ·
We grew Redberry all this year as we wanted an earlier variety, and it is 7-10 days earlier than Brandon from our estimate this given year (wet and cool). Yield/grade was good and protein was good, where fertility was light it showed up but where it was high it hit 15 plus. Minimal ergot, was quite happy with the variety. We will continue growing it. We had been Brandon, before that was Stettler.

#20 ·
Torriem, I grew viefield that year as well as go, the viewfield performed very well under irrigation. I held back on the n a bit in worries that it would lay over. Didn't have any wheat in this year but likely will grow some viewfield next year.

If you don't get much rain in your area on dryland I would be Leary. Down in my area the last 3 years were very dry and the viewfield was about a foot tall and lots of aborted heads. I feel go performs better under drier conditions

I grew both last year and the yields were very similar the viewfield went 92 avg and the go was 87.

The viewfield tw was 416 the go that year was 402

Protein however was a point to a point and a half lower on the viewfield however I feel like under irrigation I wouldn't be scared to put another 20-30 pounds down and I'm sure it would solve that problem and likely yield better.

We had a few showers harvest time last year and the viewfield held its colour very well. It's a nice looking wheat that's for sure.

I found viewfield a little harder to thrash personally

It was a great year for crops all around under a pivot last year, but I feel the viewfield is a great variety if you have decent moisture throughout the year. Not much straw from baling though that's for sure

#22 ·
Second year with Redberry here. Second year with well below average rainfall. Didn’t get much favourable weather this harvest but it held a number 1 CWRS on all but one field. Protein was decent but yield suffered from the lack of summer rain. It’s too tall for my liking ( Manipulator candidate) and we also find it harder to get a clean sample when compared to Go. Thinking I should have went with Elie instead. ??‍♂

#23 ·
Just wondering if any guys tried Cameron wheat. I have tried it now for two years and not impressed. Will go back to the tried and proven Brandon. Even a local field test showed Brandon gave an increase of 6 bushel an acre over Cameron . I grew Brandon and Cameron side by side on my farm without manipulator and had a 9 bushel difference on a half section. Viewfield yielded just slightly more than the brandon but only by a bushel at this test site . This test sight was in Morris, mb and on heavey clay soil. I tried Cameron because I know the wheat breeder( Santosh Kumer ) and he assured me Cameron was better than Bandon in fus and higher yield. Manitoba seed guide confirms that but with limited data. I tried it because of the midge tolerance gene and lower fus. Fool me once shame on you, it wont be twice! I think if Ag Canada wants to charge more for their variety development they better make sure their new varieties are worth more to the farmer. I know it takes around ten years to bring out a variety and I know Ag Canada is in transition now with a few new wheat breeders. Ron DePauw retired a few years back and is responsible for our best wheat varieties we have grown across the prairies. I guess we will have to have patience until new guys get more experience. You just cant replace Ron that easily!
For now its Brandon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.