Wheat preharvest - Page 6 - The Combine Forum
 149Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 145 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
.[/QUOTE]

That is not true at all, doesn't matter how early you spray it, the loss is yours, period.

Spraying it and realizing you should have been combining it than harvesting prior to the label harvest interval is where things go haywire.

THIS is why I don't get this thread, you guys are all chasing the wrong side of the problem[/QUOTE]

I’ll give this another shot.

As explained above, the issue is not harvesting before the recommended interval after spraying. The issue is not an individual losing a grade due to the effect of spraying too early.

The issue is: if the grain is sprayed too early(higher than 30% moisture) the seed takes in the chemical and exceeds MRL when tested. If one farmer does it, sure it will blend out with everything else in the shipment. If many producers spray too early then the entire shipment may exceed the MRL if it is tested at port. So if entire shipments are rejected by overseas buyers it will affect our entire industry. So the OP is a plea for everyone to abide by the rules, so export shipments aren’t affected and the overseas buyers continue to trust Canadian grain.

bfl2008, Ozzie, lurker18 and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 145 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
I didn't know this was even a problem.

But we spray pre-harvest roundup when there's barely any green anywhere anyway. Hopefully that makes me exempt from this criticism.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1636.JPG (106.9 KB, 30 views)
bfl2008, chance2 and SWFarmService like this.
post #53 of 145 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Google is really letting me down because I can’t find any research on Glyphosate sprayed on different stages of wheat and then testing it and comparing it to MRL. Like right down to the most idiotic time to spray it up to correct staging.

Post links!
jcalder likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 145 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalder View Post

But we spray pre-harvest roundup when there's barely any green anywhere anyway. Hopefully that makes me exempt from this criticism.
I didn’t either, I thought spraying it too early would cause frost like damage and a down grade so I didn’t think anyone would ever do it.
post #55 of 145 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
It does not only hurt the people that go in too early, it hurts the entire industry.

If too many go in early, and grain shipments get rejected for being over MRL, pre-harvest glyphosate will come off label and everyone who used it properly will no longer be able to.
They are never going to test each truck load, so it will never be pinned on the farmers misusing the practice, it will come back on the entire industry.
That is not true at all, doesn't matter how early you spray it, the loss is yours, period.

Spraying it and realizing you should have been combining it than harvesting prior to the label harvest interval is where things go haywire.

THIS is why I don't get this thread, you guys are all chasing the wrong side of the problem[/QUOTE]

Its your argument I don't get or your inability to see the potential losses to ALL growers. If some growers misuse products and it leads to MRL's being exceeded on cargo's then EVERYONE loses not just the growers doing the wrong thing.
lurker18 likes this.
post #56 of 145 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalder View Post

If you did that in OZ to Malt barley you could potentially end up owning a cell or cargo with a very large bill to go with it. At the moment its okay on feed barley unless they start turning up with MRL's too high in stockfeed. I for one would like to see a lot more data re time of spraying and resultant residue if any. And I say if any because I've not seen any data that says you do as yet.
bfl2008 likes this.
post #57 of 145 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post

Its your argument I don't get or your inability to see the potential losses to ALL growers. If some growers misuse products and it leads to MRL's being exceeded on cargo's then EVERYONE loses not just the growers doing the wrong thing.
I'm not being ignorant at all, you guys are on the wrong end of the spectrum, totally. Your backwards.

Go ahead, do a pre harvest 3 days after it comes out of the dirt...... no one cares or should care.

The problem lies 100% in the harvest interval and or over label rate.

I don't understand how anyone ever came to this conclusion too early mattered.

God Bless America
post #58 of 145 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
If this thread has thought me anything itís buckle up because if half the farmers donít agree with the normal and legal practices we do we are up $hit creek.
bfl2008, bauerr and 8850Champion like this.
post #59 of 145 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Wait, are you people telling me that you can spray totally green wheat to dessicate it and make it dry down weeks sooner?!? Without loss in grade?

I thought you could only do it when it's like 90+% mature and you still have the odd green kernal or plant and the moisture is testing a bit high for comfort.
chance2 and jcalder like this.
post #60 of 145 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
It does not only hurt the people that go in too early, it hurts the entire industry.

THIS is why I don't get this thread, you guys are all chasing the wrong side of the problem
Still not sure if the original point of this thread was about following a label or philosophical in its purpose... As far as the "industry" goes I say Screw it! The current farming system is broken in my opinion. My high input farming is making the big 4 rich, ( Bayer, BASF, Syngenta, DOW-dupont), margins are small, and nutrient density in our crops has gone down over the last 50 years. (A. my better source for this statement may have to wait till tomorrow)

As far as glyphosate being the bad guy... More and more data is coming out that there are issues with it. For those of you that will say "where is the proof?"; Do you expect a woman in a bikini to hand you a research paper? Read "WHITE WASH" by Carey Gillam. She sources all of the dialogue and claims with hundreds of references at the back of the book. Painful to read, but informative.

I use Roundup as much as anybody, but I don't like it and want to get away from it.... way easier said than done.

(A) https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...utrition-loss/

bfl2008, bauerr, FeldmannD and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page