1st western Canadian sunflower crop - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:47 PM
NVW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Neighbour was the manager of the local seed plant, he also had a bird feed business. I combined sunflowers a couple years for him with a 860 MF with an auger header. Never had any problems, just had to keep reel speed slow or it would toss them over the back of the header.

Leo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
As far as sunflowers after canola, if I recall, our crop insurance wont even insure them if put on canola ground. I've never done or tried it but that tells me its not a good idea.
My insurance is at least one year between canola to flowers. Sunflowers to canola is at least 2 years between. They share lots of the same diseases.

post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but too much N can decrease oil content.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/as...ins-region.pdf

“Seed oil content of oil-seed sunflowers always decreased with N rate, regardless of yield response”

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/publications...zing-sunflower

Something to be aware of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Yup, they are fun. Can't help but smile in field of them. You don't need anything special to seed or harvest them. We used a corn planter, and this year solid seeded them in stripped barley stubble. Get the cloudy field variety (clearfield immazomox resistance which is not pursuit tolerant. Spray authority down for sure, glyphosate pre emerg. Very limited herbicide options. 25k solid seeded per acre, about 22k with planter. It's tricky solid seeding as the rate is really low and the seed is big.

They can be a real pita. Definitely not after canola, they get basal stem rot, midstock rot, and head rot (same disease as sclerotinia). Grow in a field where all your neighbors follow a 1 in 4 or 5 canola rotation (good luck with that one lol)

We started out with the reel too low, flung them over. Easy fix. Combined halloween, then snowed that night and never melted again.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1057836111764975621

adsinaus and Lowmark like this.

Last edited by BrianTee; 06-07-2019 at 01:12 AM.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:30 PM

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by case View Post
We have a CR with standard chopper and only have to blow off engine once sometimes twice a day.

As far as sunflowers after canola, if I recall, our crop insurance wont even insure them if put on canola ground. I've never done or tried it but that tells me its not a good idea.

You want about 1lb of N for every 20lbs of yield goal. We shoot for 2000lbs here so 100lbs total N in the dirt at planting.

We generally don't put down any P since sunflowers do mine deep for nutrients, and we aren't set up all that well to apply before planting unless we use the air seeder. Even at our 2000lbs goal it's not uncommon to see 2400-2800lbs either.

You can solid seed sunflowers if you choose, but I dont recommend it. Many around us that solid seeded in the past have either hired or gone to 30" rows. I dont know your growing season length but we only seed around 21,000 population.

Try to combine around 12-14% moisture to keep the dust down. Any wetter and oil sunflowers get sticky and goo up the combine, but they can be takin wet. We've done some up to 18% in a bind.
A lot of good advice here from case. For me the 12% moisture level is perfect. If I start at 12 by the time I'm done a few weeks later it is down to 8 usually... Just cool it off in the bin and either dry it in the spring or sell to the market and take the moisture/shrinkage discount. Once you are in the 15+ range there are too many problems to deal with.

Solid seeding vs planting.... a mixed bag here. If I had a nice planter that I was comfortable using for 500+ acres I would probably use a planter, but solid seeding works just fine. 25-26k population seems to be the ticket for my operation.

I generally don't fertilize my sunflowers as I want them to go deep for their nutrients and generally seed them in fields with salinity problems. With that said, I agree with the 100 lbs of N total that is referred to above. I tell myself that non-fertilized flowers mature a little quicker than fertilized flowers, but have no data to back that up.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
We seeded 20 acres along the highway.
Sold them to Sun Country Seeds in Langham sk.
Used sunflower pans and waited till it was very cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page