post #172 of 501 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
So, how’d the meeting go?

post #173 of 501 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
mk

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I was at the meeting today. There was almost unanimous producer opposition to the proposals.

There was a speaker from Canterra who basically stated that this was in the works immediately after UPOV 91 was adopted. I don't remember if farmer saved seed was discussed when the discussion around UPOV 91 was happening but it was definitely in the minds of the seed companies.

This entire initiative is being pushed by seed companies to fix the nonexistent problem of "lack of innovation" in cereals. Their reasoning for the lack of innovation is because they can't get enough ROI for their hard work.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they're trying to triple dip. They're licensing technology from the publicly funded AAFC, then charging for seed, then charging a royalty for the continued use of the seed.

I really hope the feedback from today gets taken seriously by the bureaucrats but I'm not holding my breath.
440duster, SWMan, kevlar and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 501 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
mk

Just in case anyone is interested, here are the morning slides from the meeting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pg 1.pdf (995.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf Pg 3.pdf (549.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: pdf Pg 4.pdf (679.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf Pg 5.pdf (1.43 MB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf Pg 6.pdf (1.28 MB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf Pg 7.pdf (1.18 MB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf Pg 8.pdf (927.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf Pg 9.pdf (1.08 MB, 26 views)
File Type: pdf Pg 10.pdf (908.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: pdf Pg 2.pdf (193.4 KB, 29 views)
post #175 of 501 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
mk

Here is an estimated cost of royalty payments from the afternoon slides. A farmer pointed out that these numbers are dependent upon yields. I believe this is just an example but it helps to visualize the costs. I'll upload the rest of the slides tomorrow.

I hope this may help any of you (or someone you know) that are going to the Edmonton meeting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Part 2 Page 9.pdf (1.24 MB, 58 views)
post #176 of 501 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
I know Richardson has a no unregistered varieties declaration as part of their contracts on canola, is that the norm with everyone else and other crops beside feed grain? Other than canola I only grow feed and with feed there is no restrictions, so asking just out of curiosity, as Richardson hides that pretty well in the fine print.
Every company I know of makes you sign declarations that you will only deliver registered varieties. I always assumed it was more about wheat but maybe I was wrong.
post #177 of 501 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:46 AM
crw

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they're trying to triple dip. They're licensing technology from the publicly funded AAFC, then charging for seed, then charging a royalty for the continued use of the seed.
You are not wrong. But you also pay them with some of your check off dollars. The wheat,barley, canola and pulse associations all send some cash to Reasearch and breeding. If my memory is correct, it's about 1/4 to 1/3 of what they collect. I have not heard anything from these producer funded groups saying that they will lower the deduction rates.

I really don't think research is under funded, they have a spending problem just like our federal government does. It needs a major adjustment and trim the fat at the top.
post #178 of 501 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 09:58 AM
crw

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixtupfarmer View Post
Every company I know of makes you sign declarations that you will only deliver registered varieties. I always assumed it was more about wheat but maybe I was wrong.
It is not just wheat, it is anything you deliver to sell. It is not the grain companies doing, it is the federal government so that when a shipment of grain gets exported, we as a country can be up to a certain standard. It is really in our best interest to follow the rules on this one to protect our product and reputation world wide.

If you are growing a deregistered variety, feed lots will buy it up,or bale it up, or swath graze it. Cows really don't care if it's on the list or not.
post #179 of 501 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk View Post
Here is an estimated cost of royalty payments from the afternoon slides. A farmer pointed out that these numbers are dependent upon yields. I believe this is just an example but it helps to visualize the costs. I'll upload the rest of the slides tomorrow.

I hope this may help any of you (or someone you know) that are going to the Edmonton meeting.
My math could be wrong here, but the wheat royalty calculation is using 28.26 bu/ ac yield. 1 tonne/1.3 ac. Who only grows that much and stays in business?

Chart trying to make it look almost negligible, but triple the yield for normal yields and it's $11.70 / ac on high rate with higher production. Adds up to $17,550 for every 1500 ac of wheat.
post #180 of 501 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crw View Post
It is not just wheat, it is anything you deliver to sell. It is not the grain companies doing, it is the federal government so that when a shipment of grain gets exported, we as a country can be up to a certain standard. It is really in our best interest to follow the rules on this one to protect our product and reputation world wide.

If you are growing a deregistered variety, feed lots will buy it up,or bale it up, or swath graze it. Cows really don't care if it's on the list or not.
I inquired to CGC about those declarations and it is not a gov't issued order it is an industry designed and implemented paper. So I was told! As near as I can tell it is to protect the grain companies.

It is not against the law for farmers to deliver non registered varieties. It is against the law for the grain companies to assign the wrong grade to the wheat being delivered. You are allowed a given % of non registered variety in each grade under Wheats of other classes. However with KVD gone the industry didn't know how to deal with Wht of other class or Contrasting class so they past the buck on to farmers.

It is all in the Grain Grading Guide.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page