Using year old canola seed - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Using year old canola seed

I can get some L233P from 2018 for half price and wondering if it's worth it. Had someone tell me to never use canola older than a year but not sure. Don't have much experience with canola as I usually prefer mustard in my area.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Check the germ and let'r rip

Highmarker likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
They resell it all the time. Many bags get probed and have a small round sticker to cover the hole the tiny probe took a sample from. Germ comes back good and you are buying it at retail price again. Seen it many times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
We have used an old bag here and there, and for some reason could always pick it out in the field. Not sure if it was the germ or more likely the vigor that was a bit off, and always wondered if the seed treatment doesn't lose some of it's potency.
brazil08 likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Barn
If its half price, cant see its yield cut in half.... throw it down a little heavier....
Partners likes this.

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
I assume it is pre treated if it is in bags. From what I have heard/seen, the treatment really cuts the germ and or vigor down. Like said above, get a germ done on it, put it down heavier if it is all good.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:53 AM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
I do wonder more about treatment than germination. Did use bit last year finishing up - was cargill rr ready with lumiderm - and coincidence or not did have a cutworm patch there that did not see on new seed land - new pioneer rr with lumiderm. One of the disadvantages of planter is inevitably end up with bit of seed that cannot be returned when you clean it out - more than an airseeder where you paying attn. Guess since not planting any this yr will have some seed that gets nice and old before see what it does.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
We have had canola bags that say Blend on them..Yr old stuff with a few seeds of new..
Probably fine..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Here in aus I keep seed from harvest each year, if I don't use it all this season I just use it next season. Never an issue
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Barn
Not a problem. cheap seed imo. Seed a bit heavier if you’re concerned or germ is lower. I would do a germ quick to check it.
I’ve never used old seed with lumirderm might be good to ask the rep if it’s got that on it.

1967 Case 930 Comfort King with spin on filters and square fenders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page