Catt Corn - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Catt Corn

Grew 10 acres of hybrid corn last year to try grazing it with cattle and worked out great. Now going to seed about 70 acres of it this year and was reading up on catt corn which is open pollinated.

Does anyone have experience with catt corn? Is there any other companies selling open pollinated corn?

The price of catt corn vs hybrid sure makes it attractive for grazing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Yup. Grew it one year. Was pretty good. Was a product of multiple years of selection from a private breeder in Ontario by the Catts.

Other OP options would be Canamaize and BMR 84. BMR 84 is an interesting corn because it has the brown midrib mutation which results in a more palatable, lower lignin plant. Also it is much more tolerant of 24D or MCPA than other OP corns I have grown so that is also a very good thing. Right now I think it is $2.50 a lb from Imperial Seed (I am a dealer but I am sure there are guys closer). It is going to be a slightly longer season than Catt corn from what I understand. Catt is supposed to be in the 2150-2300 CHU range (https://www.topcropmanager.com/open-...-market-12874/) while the BMR 84 is going to be more in that 2500 range. So depending on how you liked your hybrid this year, and if it was a average-ish year, that could also inform you on which way to go. Canamaize is going to be way way shorter season and a shorter plant.

Basically they are going to cost about the same per acre. You might want to get both and see how they pan out.

Follow me on Twitter @ndykmn
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quick update.... Catt corn is short on seed this year but was lucky to get enough seed from them. Around 28 bucks an acre for seed vs 95 an acre for a hybrid. Talked to local seed dealer and can also get an OP corn from thunder seeds (th 2777) for $120 a bag.
I asked about bmr 84 but I am leary because if it has less lignin I am pessimistic on standability. Never did get a quote back on canamaize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page