Oat varieties [Alberta friendly] - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Haven't found a dwarf in oats that comes close to Morgan, it is really hard to beat. Would like it for stripping. Nassar was crap.
Gonna need to see a picture of Morgan the dwarf stripper...

brazil08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Barn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTee View Post
Haven't found a dwarf in oats that comes close to Morgan, it is really hard to beat. Would like it for stripping. Nassar was crap.
Gonna need to see a picture of Morgan the dwarf stripper...

Like grandfather in law told me last night talking about the alberta election..... there's a Chinese saying.... "careful what you wish for"

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:55 PM

Location: NW of Don about an hr - by car. West Central Alberta.
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnviL View Post
Like grandfather in law told me last night talking about the alberta election..... there's a Chinese saying.... "careful what you wish for"

Exactly - I saw some Morgan oats on some brand new land that was in beautiful shape last Spring at seeding and it was not 3' tall due to not "normal" moisture last year and tendencies of sod. I am pretty happy with hulless oats and actually do not mind the straw it produces as people who feed it like it a lot. So far, it not gone down on me - not even like Morgan, the dwarf stripper - though I have always swathed it.
Daner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Barn
I like how you snuck that one in there brazil08... 🙂

I just was bs'ing with a local grower and he suggested CS Camden... said it yields good and stands well... anyone else given that one a whirl??

Keep calm and combine on....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
2 years with Camden stands really good, this years going to try it against Morgan and Or3542. We seeded it early and straight combined it after all the snow and rain,was still standing,,still made #2, 45 lbs/bushel. yeilded well over 100,,
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnviL View Post
I just was bs'ing with a local grower and he suggested CS Camden... said it yields good and stands well... anyone else given that one a whirl??
Not Alberta but I tried Camden and under high input/fungicide the straw would not mature even when the grain was ready. Had to swath and wait for it to cure. Was 15 bushels less than Summit in a side by side. I wouldn't go near that variety again personally. Summit has been very good here and millers like it, although it can shatter in high wind when it's ripe. Manipulator makes every variety a dwarf one(relatively speaking) but check with your buyer on that before spraying.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
We are going to try Camden this year. We always swath it anyways so not too concerned about the straw staying green. Hope it turns out better than Souris did the 2 times we grew it. Always had good luck with Triple Crown, but can't find seed for it anymore. It maybe wasn't the highest yield, but was always consistent no matter the year.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page