Highest protein wheat have you grown - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
My thoughts are, things change. With the UN mandate for eliminating bunker oil on all ocean ships, and the impending increase costing of shipping, and transportation. It makes sense that the world will have to get more efficient in shipping. Eventually, a high concentrated product that can be blended down with local lower protein grains would make sense. Just a thought, even though, i have feed at 14.6 protein, that would make some very good feed, maybe more profitable than feeding humans.
Just going on the same way year after year, without looking for the next possible market is not going to help the bottom line, with the descend in margins farming as it is, will be unsustainable for a lot of us.
Wheat is worth less than the same amount of wood pellets for stoves. That's completely absurd.
Are cows on a gluten free diet? Maybe grow some super low protein super high yielding wheat for fossil free heating, or grow specialty feed products bypassing humans. Just ideas where maybe some niche markets maybe opened up,
Just pipe dream stuff to juice the brain here, since farming has not been too fun lately.
My area looks as though we are on a dry cycle, so hay gets to be a premium, and feed prices go up. I remember feed wheat some years back close to $10/bu.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEMAN View Post
Whatís the point of having high protein over yield? Anything over 13.5 is all you need. Only thing you are doing is making more money for the elevators when you haul in your 16 and they mix it with 12.5 and sell it all for 13.5, give me yield anyday.
Elevators make enough off us, I donít want to give them more opportunity to screw us anymore than they are already.
I'm inclined to agree with this, although it's more like you don't want protein under 13.5 and probably want it around 14 ideally.

Often a high protein variety is a compromise on yield and unless your grain is un-marketable from some factor it's the bushels that pay the bills.

Harvest used to be a good balance of both but after re-classing it looks like Brandon is the go-to variety, although slightly lower on protein than Harvest was.

Border Farmer likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I'm inclined to agree with this, although it's more like you don't want protein under 13.5 and probably want it around 14 ideally.

Often a high protein variety is a compromise on yield and unless your grain is un-marketable from some factor it's the bushels that pay the bills.

Harvest used to be a good balance of both but after re-classing it looks like Brandon is the go-to variety, although slightly lower on protein than Harvest was.
The recent dryer years sure have helped to improve our wheat yields, wasn't that long ago we were stuck around high 60's and throwing money on and still went home with a nr3 13.5 because of fuz

last 2 years been insane good for wheat, rain during flower sure reduces wheat yield, but then again who gives a hoot when you have 1/2 of farm in crops that need late rains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by w-mFarms View Post
15.9 this year, overlap with topdressing,
not worth the premium as elevator doesn't pay anything extra over 14.5 although they binned our stuff separate.
never had good protein always had high yields untill we changed some stuff on the fertility sides and seem to get both now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fena farms View Post
What did you change if you donít mind me asking
Here Here!

Iíve got the 80bu thing down. Letís hear the answer to doing so with 14ish protein.

Not sure if I can get hard to make another pass in the sprayer either!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Here Here!

Iíve got the 80bu thing down. Letís hear the answer to doing so with 14ish protein.

Not sure if I can get hard to make another pass in the sprayer either!
topdressing timing, everybody know how to boost protein already. It's just the application takes special care because your hitting a crop at the most sensitive time for affecting yield with salt.

lots of research on this stuff has been done in europe already, not getting hard to make protein premiums when they can be paid can be a choice to be honest this year yield is the only thing that pays, not many protein premiums, last year however was a big payday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page