Highest protein wheat have you grown - The Combine Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Highest protein wheat have you grown

I am looking for a variety in Sask that is good at protein over yield. I was growing carberry for seed last year, and i planted it, with 150# of N, then planted it in two perpendicular directions at 70 lbs an acre with 120# of S15 with it. i got into the mid to high 60 bu/ac with a protein of 14.6. Never had wheat almost choke the hole on a swather before, But, it rained for a month straight the day after i knocked it down, so feed it is. With the price of feed pretty close to #1, i was wondering what the highest protein you have ever hit with what variety?
I went to the store and i for the life of me, I couldn't find any spec on a loaf of bread if it was made with number 1,2,or 3 wheat, Lol
i really like dwarf wheat for the lodging, and awned wheat for poking midge in the bum.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I grew carberry and got 16.9 pro at g3. In laws grew carberry and it went 14.9 and their landmark only went 14.

Combine Pilot likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I tested (and retested) some Brandon for a customer last fall, 18+. Long history of a strong fertility program, and drought stress last year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
15.9 this year, overlap with topdressing,
not worth the premium as elevator doesn't pay anything extra over 14.5 although they binned our stuff separate.
never had good protein always had high yields untill we changed some stuff on the fertility sides and seem to get both now.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by w-mFarms View Post
15.9 this year, overlap with topdressing,
not worth the premium as elevator doesn't pay anything extra over 14.5 although they binned our stuff separate.
never had good protein always had high yields untill we changed some stuff on the fertility sides and seem to get both now.
What did you change if you don’t mind me asking
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Barn
In my experience weather and genetics and fertility all factor in so you can control two of those but the weather is the real control if everyone is doing all the same things. Your soil can make a difference but if you’re on task with fertilizer you can make some of that up. Imo. 17 is highest for us but last 2 years we’ve had 13 ish. Weather has been challenging for us last 3 years. Too much moisture.

1967 Case 930 Comfort King with spin on filters and square fenders.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
What’s the point of having high protein over yield? Anything over 13.5 is all you need. Only thing you are doing is making more money for the elevators when you haul in your 16 and they mix it with 12.5 and sell it all for 13.5, give me yield anyday.
Elevators make enough off us, I don’t want to give them more opportunity to screw us anymore than they are already.
Border Farmer likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:26 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4479 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEMAN View Post
What’s the point of having high protein over yield? Anything over 13.5 is all you need.
20 years ago the fertilizer research crowd found anything over 13.5 protein was simply “luxury N consumption”, if that is reached yield has been maximized.
Don’t know if varietal development has upped the 13.5 figure but I doubt it.
Border Farmer likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEMAN View Post
What’s the point of having high protein over yield? Anything over 13.5 is all you need. Only thing you are doing is making more money for the elevators when you haul in your 16 and they mix it with 12.5 and sell it all for 13.5, give me yield anyday.
Elevators make enough off us, I don’t want to give them more opportunity to screw us anymore than they are already.
Whats the point? Well some years there is quite a premium. Works very well for a bargaining chip if you are hauling further away from home. Lots of times we gained a grade or free trucking because they wanted our high protein wheat to help blend and bring up their numbers. If you have other detrimental grading factors plus low protein you are at the elevators mercy.
Highmarker and Combine Pilot like this.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 10:53 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4479 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Whats the point? Well some years there is quite a premium.
When protein premiums were introduced and I had the highest crop insurance index of 900 contracts at the crop insurance office the protein premium would more than cover the ENTIRE fertilizer bill not just the protein benefit any added fertilizer at the maximized yield.

Mind you, this was before the predatory fertilizer pricing extortionists were as active.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page