Rolling Cereals - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletimeoperator View Post
With the dry conditions there is a possibility my durum will be short in height and/or could end up being cut for greenfeed if the cowboys are hungry enough. There are quite a few rocks out there and Iím wondering what guys experience has been rolling emerged cereals? Mine is all emerged and most at the 1 leaf stage with the odd plant starting a second leaf. Not much weed pressure so will likely spray in-crop at 4-5 leaf and if I roll it Iíd like to give it a bit of time to recover before spraying. Thoughts?

Back in the days of conventional cultivation + seeding we always rolled cereals. Usually at about the pre tiller stage. But it didnt seem to make a big difference if it was tillering either. Just make sure to not do when booting

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
This year I’m squaring fields back up so all my durum is on durum and canola stubble (both of which were very poor crops last year due to drought). We’re long time no till, continuous crop. Blowing soil shouldn’t be too much of an issue. I just rolled 50ac out of 1000. The dry dirt is burying a bit of the emerged crop so going to wait until it gets a bit bigger. My headland turns also looked to be a bit hard on the crop even though I was making them extra wide. Tried skip passes but then end up doubling up on headlands when doing the ones I skipped.

We’ve had trouble putting rocks into combine with downed/short cereals on this same land in the past and it was both costly and time consuming to repair. In 2015 between two machines there were 4 incidence of rocks getting in which breaking off impeller wear plates, which took out viens, concave, rasp bars, kicker bars and half of choppper blades plus bent concave hanger. With the rotor spinning at such a high rpm and concave tight doing cereals there’s just no forgiveness and the rock trap doesn’t catch them all. Swore I was rolling everything after that season!!!

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2848 Post(s)
Ahem, why not pick the rocks?

I tell the guys that rocks serve no purpose on the field except to destroy stuff.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Ahem, why not pick the rocks?

I tell the guys that rocks serve no purpose on the field except to destroy stuff.
Some of us would lose half our topsoil if we picked all the rocks! Good thing cows will eat around them...

More seriously, most of the neighbors roll and most of them don’t finish before the crop needs sprayed, I’ve scouted for them and never seems to hurt much.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

We pick. Most often any decent sized rocks by hand when rolling and put in loader. Short of having a Mexican army or rock rake there’s not enough hours in the day or manpower. With rolling you cover the ground pretty quick and get every rock whereas relying on picking leaves 95% in the field.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:38 AM

Quote:
We pick. Most often any decent sized rocks by hand when rolling and put in loader. Short of having a Mexican army or rock rake thereís not enough hours in the day or manpower. With rolling you cover the ground pretty quick and get every rock whereas relying on picking leaves 95% in the field.
Fair enough. We never see the end of the rocks here either, but we won't quit trying. Probably just as many hours picking stones as seeding here, maybe more. I think some guys just use a roller to procrastinate on doing a job that most times is thankless but super important.

On the rolling I think it can reduce the ridges that help retain water from running off during rain events. Of course that only matters if it rains...
kevlar and Littletimeoperator like this.

Orlando A. Battista
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
There is are always a few more puddles in a rolled field than non rolled after a rain.

Brent.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Fair enough. We never see the end of the rocks here either, but we won't quit trying. Probably just as many hours picking stones as seeding here, maybe more. I think some guys just use a roller to procrastinate on doing a job that most times is thankless but super important.

On the rolling I think it can reduce the ridges that help retain water from running off during rain events. Of course that only matters if it rains...
How are you picking rocks? Picker, by hand? Does the disc drill pull up many rocks? I would think that would be another advantage of your seeding outfit compared to shank drill.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:30 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Quote:
We pick. Most often any decent sized rocks by hand when rolling and put in loader.
Picked up a obviously forgot about rock in a rolled field last fall, it was too heavy for me to lift it out of the MacDon rock dam, had to set header on the ground and roll it out. Fortunately, only lost a couple of minutes and two FD1 auger fingers, felt quite lucky.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
How are you picking rocks? Picker, by hand? Does the disc drill pull up many rocks? I would think that would be another advantage of your seeding outfit compared to shank drill.
This is easily the best rock picking unit going. CVT, loader, Degelman 7200 picker run with joystick.

Disc drill generally doesn't pull up rocks and does push them in. Plenty there from fall banding though, most picking is done before drill.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190524_102932.jpg (381.3 KB, 49 views)

Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page