Reseeding Canola Options - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazil08 View Post
Not sure I like the hemp market this yr, but you would have all month to seed it ahead of a rain(if there is one) and still have decent yield prospects - Ie leave the canola to see how scabby it really is, but if there an imminent rain have your hemp seed ready and spray out what canola there is. Guess if you can spray out canola maybe even yellow mustard an option. Doing nothing is option that always got you a point in school test and may still be worth something - depending on your insurance of course.
You ain’t growing Mustard we’re theres a chance a Canola seed could catch with a rain. The buyer would reject the load.

bradw2 likes this.

Week Men Create Hard Times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From this thread and just talking to some other people it seems like peas or barley are the best options... I guess it comes down to what is less risky, seeding peas into 130 lbs of N, or seeding barley into ground treated with edge last fall... hmmm just not an easy decision! I take it peas would be less risky on 130lbs of N then small green lentils?

bjtjjl likes this.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I think just leave it you're likely not going to get any crop growing there any better. Bad situation but doing anything else makes it worse. This drought sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
If you don’t seed it, it will rain and vise versa.
For everyone else’s sake PLEASE don’t seed it.
Thx!! Lmao
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Barley is risky since Edge is classified as suppression of volunteer barley. Most years Edge does a good job of controlling it, this year with 20lbs/ac of Edge spring applied I have lots of volunteer barley in the places where the standing crop last year was snowed on and combined in October. So an abnormally high amount of grain on the ground to volunteer. But not enough rain for the Edge to start working likely the main reason.
Peas would be a good option. The reason for not putting lots of N down for peas is you are wasting N. If it's already in the ground and and alternative is chem fallow then you really aren't wasting it. Me personally, I am not reseeding anything. If I get rain I will see what comes out of the ground, if it doesn't rain then we already know what was the right plan.
Border Farmer likes this.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
I would seed it to peas personally. peas and canola do very well together. I am sure by now you have done something though. What choice did you make?
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookiller View Post
I would seed it to peas personally. peas and canola do very well together. I am sure by now you have done something though. What choice did you make?
Its Invigour canola so he wouldn't get a chance to spray it again later on if the stand is thin and gets weedy. You just know the first good rain we get those weeds are going to jump.

Good thing its 233 because he can leave that stand a long time for whatever else is growing to catch up.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I seeded peas 1 year into a field that had 2 passes of fall applied nh3 at 80 lb/ac. I was so worried that those 2 passes would be to rich, would stay green, and lodge terribly. In the end, I never could pick those 2 passes out all year. There was no difference from the other peas.

Peas would be easy because the edge is down, and inoculant wouldn’t be required. You likely shouldn’t need to treat either at this time of year if it’s good seed.
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
Its Invigour canola so he wouldn't get a chance to spray it again later on if the stand is thin and gets weedy. You just know the first good rain we get those weeds are going to jump.

Good thing its 233 because he can leave that stand a long time for whatever else is growing to catch up.
It’s june 8, get the peas in. Like I said if there are weeds now spray liberty first. If it rains crop will be ahead of weeds. Should work good, if it rains.
BrianTee likes this.

Brent.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
In 2002 we had canola on fallow. Dry as heck and canola only grew in draws. I reseeded mine to barley, dad left his. Got 1/4” late July and everything grew crazy on that little moisture. Ended up we baled it all and canola bales outyielded the barley. Feed is in short supply these days.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page