Reseeding Canola Options - Page 5 - The Combine Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
This gives some context, not saying it is the ultimate reference
https://www.google.com/url?q=https:/...TkQZBbSpa2HxbB
But 40 plants/sq m is cited in pdf. That is for optimum yield, which I would assume entails an optimum amount of moisture. But apparently mentioning the amount of moisture to obtain max yield is irrelevant in any study synopsis. But we see that 15 plants can do quite well. Now let's use farmer logic and speculate if those numbers change again when you have no chance of hitting max yield potential because lack of rain. Ya, we don't know how the year will play out but at some point you need to make guesses when the research isn't giving all the relevant info. If I can reach 10-15 per meter on Mustard I will be happy to see how the year plays out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Last year we seeded a 1/4 at 3lbs/ac. Just before emergence we got a pounding shower that crusted over the soil and prevented some emergence. Then what did emerge got thinned out even more by group 2 carry over. In some places there was one plant every 3 feet.

That quarter got lucky and caught some great showers, somewhere between 6-7” for the season. Even with the blazing hot July, come harvest you could not tell how few plants the stand was until you looked behind the header to see stalks the size of your big toe. That piece ran 54bu/ac.

Suggested plant count is bs imo. It all depends on rain. And though it’s hard not to get pessimistic, we ain’t dead yet.

jaymo, bjtjjl, SouthernSK and 5 others like this.
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
I cant gauge the condition of some of these seedlings stuck in the dust. Some look ok, but others look like they are on their last leg.

I supposed I could just go in before the rain and broadcast a few lbs over the whole field and hope for a catch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
It’s good. Lots of yield potential yet. If it don’t rain it don’t matter. And if it rains it will be fine. Make sure no bugs get at it for a while. And than ignore it.
scottyheps and iksn like this.

Brent.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
How on earth did you get crop insurance out to look at it this early in the year?
My advice would be to leave it be. There is still time for a decent outcome. Even if it does go the estimated 20-25 bushels, it will cover some of the costs and not be a total loss. I think if you sow it to Durum, there would still be a good chance it wouldn't amount to much,much like the canola might not, but then you are out the costs of trying to grow a wheat crop. Not to mention getting a little late is it not? I would leave the canola a little longer, see what happens, if it dies off or you get a rain too late for it to make it, might be better at that time to sow it to something for green feed if the moisture situation improves. It's hard to play the wait and see game, especially when the clock is ticking. I feel for you.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Boy you guys are zen calm. I am laying in bed at night worry about this canola.

I have such a small land base its hard to have any field not returning a decent yield.
radar likes this.
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
Boy you guys are zen calm. I am laying in bed at night worry about this canola.

I have such a small land base its hard to have any field not returning a decent yield.
It sucks. Land base is all relevant. I farm a lot of fields, and lot of them suck right now! Reseeding doesn’t guarantee anything except you spend more money.

Brent.
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Jazz; did crop insurance call the canola “choice” meaning they’ll cover you if you decide to keep it or pay you $60/ac establishment benefit if you terminate it? I was in this situation last yr. I couldn’t stand the thought of looking at that miserable “canola” field all year and dealing with late flushes of weeds in all the bare areas so I terminated it and scoured the country for feed barley and sowed it in about this time a yr ago. We only had about 9 tenths rain on it and still managed to go 60bu. This was in the arid SW and we didn’t get that crop off until late Oct in tough conditions. No way durum would have made it.

Seeding the barley and having it establish a crop made me sleep better for no other reason than there was at least something growing there now. I likely would have been further ahead financially to take the canola to harvest and collect insurance as I have a decent guarantee but my pride wouldn’t let me stare at a total wreck all year.

Of course this year I’ve got mulitiple fields that are awful and embassing so my sleepless nights have resumed. If I was in your Regina area my confidence in rain falling there in next 3-4 weeks is high and I think if you can put your pride aside for a few months you have the most potential to come out financially ahead just leaving your canola stand as is.
post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:13 AM
bap

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Well, not a darn thing a guy can do about the rain, so no sense worrying about it...just have to hope it straightens out pretty soon. We already set aside a few acres hoping it is a good fall for winter wheat...I wonder if the banks get worried...he, he...Pretty widespread on the continent this year, if it isnt dry its too wet. Probably a few pockets here and there that are good, but generally not looking all that great, hopefully everything that got started will make it...
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 11:27 AM
bap

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
This is my 20th year farming and still fairly young and optimistic most days...if I have learned anything its to not worry about the weather...I think about it enough and make lots of predictions, however I don't think my success on weather predictions is developed much...he, he. When forces out of your control take away your best efforts...there is no shame in that...If the banks don't get their money by january...then they can either work with us or they can come give it a try next year...

garyfunk and brazil08 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page